Chapter Nine

Anna, Zinnia, and Darian were making their way to the Great Hall, bouncing with excitement. Darian had Merlin on his shoulder who was also excited, in his own way. It was the Halloween feast. Giant pumpkins, bats, and good food. What wasn't to love? They made it to the Hall and it was just as spectacular as Anna expected it to be.

The candles had been dimmed slightly so the room looked a little darker and the walls were covered in spider webs. There were the usual giant pumpkins (Anna swears they get bigger every year) and also what Merlin was so excited about. The bats.

While most of the bats took to swooping over the tables or hanging out on the ceiling and walls but every year one bat would come and sit on the table and keep Merlin company. They were pretty sure it was the same bat since it was rather small and clumsy compared to all the other bats.

Anna saw Terence waving to them from the Slytherin table, despite some of the disapproving glances he was getting from some of the others in his house. They waved back to him before making their way to the Hufflepuff table.

Sure enough they spotted a small nervous looking bat sitting on the seats at the Hufflepuff table, students around it were giving it a curious look, the first years looked especially confused. They walked over and sat with it, Darian placing Merlin down, so they could keep each other company, Merlin squawking happily at being able to spend time with the friend he didn't get to see very often.

Most of the feast was uneventful, with the food being as wonderful as ever. Anna, Darian, and Zinnia had loaded their plates with all sorts of food, from mash potato, roasts, carrots, anything they felt like. But they always had room for pudding. And towards the end of the feast is when the unexpected happened. Merlin and his bat friend were flying around together just like ever year and Nova Shelley, who was sitting across from them had reach out and picked up a large cake to bring it closer to them when someone shouted out.

"Food fight!"

Anna turned around to see the Weasley twins throw food randomly. One landed further down the Gryffindor table. The other landed on the Hufflepuff table nearby and startled Nova badly. So badly that she flung the cake she was holding in the air. Very far into the air. It went over Anna head and even all the way over the Ravenclaw table. Some of the bats had to quickly dodge the cake, one flapped angrily as it got a bit on its wing. But the cake soared on until it landed on the back of a Slytherin.

He and his friend next to him turned around. The first person he spotted was Anna staring at him wide eyed. He looked furious. Later Anna would out from Darian that the person that the cake had landed on was fifth year, Asher Belacqua, and sitting next to him was his friend Marcus Flint.

Neither looked even faintly amused. The Great Hall had fallen silent and the Weasley twins had quickly sat down. The silence was awkward, and the tension was thick as Professor Dumbledore stood up. He waved his wand and the mess on the Slytherins back and the Hufflepuff table disappeared.

"Better luck next time Mr Weasley," was all he said as he sat back down. The twins looked very disappointed that their plan hadn't worked and were avoiding looking at Percy who was sending glares their way. There would be no end to his scolding tonight.

Anna turned back to her food, but she could feel the two Slytherins glaring at her back still. Even though she hadn't done anything. She turned back to her food and people started talking again as the tension slowly disappeared. Merlin and his friend had landed back on the seat with them, not feeling safe anymore since they nearly just got hit with a cake.

"I'm so sorry," Nova was looking at her wide eyes and a guilty expression.

"It's okay," Anna answered with a faint smile.

"I should have said something," Nova insisted.

"I doubt that anyone would volunteer to be glared at by those two," Zinnia answered for her and Anna nodded in agreement.

"I hope they don't give you any trouble." Nova bit her lip.

"I don't know much about Asher Belacqua except that he's quiet. But what I've heard about Marcus Flint is that he isn't very bright. He probably won't even remember it by morning."

Nova looked reassured when Darian told her that and turned back to talk to her friends, some of the other fourth year Hufflepuff girls that Anna didn't know very well.

"Do you actually believe that they won't murder me?" Anna whispered to Darian and Zinnia.

"We'll protect you if they try."

"Are you kidding Darian? We wouldn't stand a chance against Marcus Flint, he'd squish us," Zinnia told Darian who looked offended.

"I could hold my own against ugly over there."

"Really?"

"Well... maybe not. But it would stop me from trying."

Anna let out a sigh, "this isn't very reassuring."

"They've stopped glaring, they've probably already forgotten about it, I doubt that they can hold a grudge. Probably too much work for them," Darian shrugged.

"I hope so. And if they haven't?" She asked.

"...We'll think of something."

"I'm defenceless."

"Merlin will protect you," Zinnia joked.

Anna looked down at Merlin who chirped at her.

"I feel so safe."