Chapter Three: Karmen

Karmen Hughes gathered her blonde hair into a ponytail and fanned the back of her neck. It was so freaking hot out here, even for May. Another thirty minutes and all her carefully applied makeup would be running down her face from sweat. Gross.

Her best friend Kate elbowed her, then started clapping. "Go Aaron, wooo!"

Karmen turned her attention to the baseball field. Her boyfriend of three years, Aaron Goldman, was walking toward the plate, swinging his bat around and looking into the crowd. Karmen stood and cheered, and Aaron smiled and winked at her.

She was sitting in the same spot she always did—two rows from the back just behind home plate. She told everyone she sat here because this was where she had the best view of Aaron as catcher. Everyone always laughed, including Karmen, but the truth was that most of the time, she was much more interested in watching the pitcher.

She glanced toward the dugout. Noah had slipped his red jacket over his right arm and shoulder to keep it warm. Her heart skipped a beat. He looked so good in his baseball cap and tight pants. He stood near the railing, looking out and cheering for Aaron as he took his place near the plate.

Karmen stared at him a little longer than she should have, hoping to catch his eye. He never looked her way, though, which made absolutely no sense. What was wrong with him anyway? Did he seriously not even notice that she'd been trying to get his attention for the past six months?

Or was he just trying not to hurt his best friend by stealing his girl?

And if that was the case, how could she convince him otherwise?

She liked Aaron well enough. He was cute and smart and popular. His parents were crazy rich, and he always bought her anything she wanted, but that didn't really impress Karmen. Her parents would buy her anything, too. So what? Money was just money.

But Noah. He was different. Reserved. He had a quietness about him that made him seem like he was always thinking about important things. Like he was deep and really smart. Karmen didn't even know why she liked that about him. She was usually more of the party type, which meant Aaron was perfect for her. So why was she feeling so drawn to Noah these days?

The crack of the bat pulled her attention back to the field. Aaron threw his bat to the ground and ran toward first base, digging in hard. Karmen jumped up, and Kate grabbed her hand. They screamed his name and cheered him on as he passed first and slid into second base just before the ball.

"Are you excited about tonight?" Kate asked when they sat back down. Another batter headed toward the plate.

Karmen stuck her hand deep in Kate's popcorn and pulled out a handful. "Of course," she said. "Isn't everyone?"

She smiled and Kate rolled her eyes. "Your parties do tend to be epic, I'll give you that. How long did you say your parents are gone for?"

"The whole weekend. They leave around six tonight and aren't coming back until late Monday afternoon."

"You're so lucky," Melody said. She was sitting on the other side of Kate. For the past five years or so, the three of them had been inseparable. "I wish my parents would trust me at home alone for more than an hour at a time, but they treat me like I'm still eight years old or something."

"I know, my dad's almost never home, but Mom? She never leaves. That woman is seriously tied to the television twenty-four-seven," Kate said. She offered her soda to Karmen, and she took a long sip from the red and white straw.

"Well, my parents are almost never home," Karmen said. Ever since her two brothers had graduated and moved out of the house, her parents had been taking a lot more business trips and vacations, leaving her alone. It was the best thing that ever happened to her. "Lots of parties at my place this year."

"I can't wait," Melody said. "I already told Mom I was staying at your place tonight."

"Me too," Kate said.

Karmen raised an eyebrow and grabbed another handful of popcorn. "You two can share the guest room," she said. "My room will be fully occupied tonight, if you know what I mean."

Her friends giggled and shoved her. Karmen played along, but the truth was that deep inside, her stomach was tied in knots. She'd promised Aaron he could stay over tonight, but only because he wouldn't stop asking her about it. She knew what he wanted, but she wasn't totally sure she was ready to give it up. Yes, she was sixteen as of two weeks ago, and most of her friends had already lost their virginity, but still.

Karmen looked toward the dugout again, her eyes seeking Noah's.

Maybe Aaron just wasn't the one.

Thanks so much for reading chapter three! This story updates every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!