Chapter Fifty-Six: Crash

Crash plowed through a huge group of Z's, his Army-issue Hummer having no problem driving right over the top of the ones that had fallen. When he was surrounded, he moved to the guns he'd mounted on top.

Moving in a circle, he sprayed the area, whooping as dozens fell to the ground.

When he'd cleared a decent path, he hopped back down into the driver's seat and punched the gas.

He'd brought the radio and a tablet with him so he could still see the cameras he'd hacked into. The three of his friends he'd come to rescue were just up ahead on the left side of the street.

It was a bumpy ride, but he made it to them just in time. A large group of Z's was pouring from the buildings around them. He was glad to see them still standing, ready to fight.

Crash pulled up next to them and waved. He reached back and grabbed one of the guns he'd brought. An AK-47 assault rifle. He tossed it to Noah, then reached for another.

It took them an hour to clear the area, but when they were finished, there was a pile three bodies deep in every direction.

"Hell yeah," he shouted, lifting his gun in the air.

He'd never felt so alive in his life.

He'd been playing video games since he was a kid, but nothing compared to holding a real gun in your hand instead of a controller. To be honest, he'd never been a big fan of guns when they were used to shoot real, living breathing human beings. But these Z's? Man, he'd keep shooting 'til he'd killed them all.

Below him, Parrish laughed. "Having fun?"

"Are you kidding me?" He whooped again.

"You must be Crash," Noah said. He reached his hand up and Crash clasped it tight. "You got here just in time."

"I can tell," he said, surveying the damage again. "So, what was giving off that crazy heat signature? Was it just some kind of glitch or something?"

"I wish," Parrish said. She slung the rifle across her shoulder, then leaned down to grab a backpack that was on the ground. "We'll fill you in on that later. I think we'd better get out of here before any more of those things come after us."

"You said you have a shower with hot water at your place, right? You better not have been lying, because right now that's the only thing I'm living for."

Crash took in the beautiful blonde standing to the side. She was even more gorgeous in person than on video. He whistled and ran his hand through his hair. He suddenly felt nervous and awkward.

"Uh, yeah, there's hot water," he said. "But first, there's one more thing we need to do."

"You've got to be kidding me," Barbie said. She even stomped her foot when she did it. So stinking cute.

"No," he said with a laugh. "I'm not kidding. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two."

He looked up at the tall building to his right. Somewhere in there was the fifth. He was sure of it. They were hiding in a closet, scared of the noise.

Just like in his dream.

Crash to the rescue :P ! Hope you are loving this story so far. Please be sure to comment, vote, and let me know if you love this enough to read book 2 in the series! Only a few chapters left to go.