Chapter Thirty-Six: The Witch

The witch studied the purple stone.

Three of the five symbols were connected with a small rope of light. It had been that way from the beginning. From the first moment she'd held it in her hand.

Overnight, though, a fourth symbol had become connected to the other three. The Dark One had said they would soon meet up with the fourth. The rope connecting them was thin and dim, but it was there. Only the fifth remained completely disconnected and alone.

The witch was running out of time.

The Dark One would not be pleased with her. The group would soon become four and their powers would strengthen. Their journey toward each other had already begun in some small way. They would be drawn to each other, even if they didn't know why. Circumstances would bring them closer and they would feel a strong pull to find each other. It was simply the way the magic worked.

When the guardians sealed the Dark One deep inside the earth, they made a sacrifice. Instead of going back to their own world, they would stay here. They would live and die and be born again, over and over for eternity. Their powers were dormant. Sealed inside of their bodies until they were needed.

If the Dark One ever awakened, the guardian's powers would also begin to awaken.

By now, all five of them would have discovered some level of new ability. They might not recognize it for what it truly was, but soon they would begin to piece it all together. And if the five of them ever joined up, their memories would come back to them. Their purpose would become clear and their powers would become strong.

She couldn't let that happen.

The Dark One needed more time. More strength.

Once she was free, the guardians wouldn't be able to stop her. Not again. The witch's job was to keep the guardian's apart until her mistress could free herself.

As the magical seal on this world began to break apart, the witch discovered new abilities of her own. Just as the Dark One said she would.

The tracking the Dark One told her about was something she'd been practicing. She had learned to meditate and concentrate on the souls of the guardians. First, she had learned to concentrate on their mark. The girl with the violet eyes had her own mark on the purple Fatalis stone. An infinity sign.

When the witch concentrated on this symbol, the girl's face became clearer in her mind. Eventually, she had even learned to see the girl's body. Her surroundings. And most importantly, her dreams.

Soon, she would be strong enough to connect with all five of the guardians this way. And this is how she would find them.

This is how she would defeat them.

I hope you enjoyed this bonus chapter today! Parrish's next chapter will go up on Monday!

If you're enjoying Death's Awakening, please vote, comment, and add this book to your library! Thanks so much for reading!