Chapter Fifty-Nine: The Witch

The witch took Crash's hand and stepped into the room.

She'd been waiting for them. And they had come for her, just as the Dark One said they would. They would see her as one of their own now. A friend. An ally in these dark times.

She glanced over the faces of the four guardians. They looked so young for ones who had lived so many lifetimes.

She shivered and Noah grabbed a blanket from the floor. He wrapped it around her shoulders like a cloak, then ushered her toward the door. She leaned down just before they left and picked up a bag of her things, the Fatalis stone tucked safely inside.

Each of them introduced themselves, then told her all about the battles of the night. Crash told her how he'd dreamed of bringing them all together. How he knew she would be there, hiding in the closet.

The witch did not speak. She wanted them to believe she was scared. Weak. That they needed to protect her.

The five of them walked as a group into the hallway.

Bodies of the undead littered the path to the elevator.

Sacrifices in the name of the Dark One.

None of the guardians had died tonight, but there would be more opportunities. Especially now that she had taken the place of the fifth.

The witch kept to the back of the group, lovingly stepping over the dead. And as she walked, flowers began to grow up from their bodies, with blooms dark as blood. She opened her palm and let the soft petals caress her hand as she followed the guardians toward the elevator.

As they all turned to watch the doors close behind them, the witch smiled at the sea of beautiful red flowers.

A sign that the Dark One was pleased.

Oh my gosh, you guys! This is the end! One short epilogue to go that I will post on Friday, but I can't thank you enough for sticking with the story and reading it through! It means so much to me! Be sure to vote, comment, and follow me on Wattpad!