7 - Try This - اسے آزماو

"Then one day, when you least expect it, the great adventure finds you."Ewan McGregor

Daniyal and I ambled down the busy, crowded streets of Kashmir. I almost boiled alive in the thick niqab that covered my face, head and neck. I was finding it hard to breath, my mouth and nose both covered in thick black material. "You okay under there?" Daniyal asked, staring concernedly through the gap in my scarf where my eyes were, as we walked. "I'm fine. It's just quite hot under here, that's all." I croaked, inhaling deeply.

He nodded slowly, "You'll be out soon, I promise."
I smiled, though he didn't notice, under my niqab. It was like the thick scarf had sucked all the personality out of me and made me seem bleak and austere. Not that I had much of a personality to begin with. That really did pose the question, why was he willing to travel all the way to Pakistan with me? I knew how good-natured he was, but no one I know would ever do the same. Why him? I had never trusted people easily but with him I felt like I'd known him my whole life. 

"We're nearly there, I think."
I nodded, but not even that could be seen. Letting sweat soak into my niqab and nearly drown me, we continued to walk. I breathed heavily, in...out...in...out. Not daring to waste what little air was available under the long scarf. I let the overwhelming heat beam onto my head and make me dizzy. I felt like someone was doing somersaults in my head.

"How does Sarafina's mum do it?" I whispered as we walked down the street together, in sync. Somehow, Daniyal heard me, and he replied almost instantly. "I don't know. It was nice of her to bring it though, and Afreen. You have some great friends."
I nodded, again not seen. "Yeah, including you." I winked. He shrugged, "I'm okay, I guess." We both laughed together. "You're great! I didn't know you, a week ago. Did I?" I said. He continued to chuckle as we walked down the street together. "And now your willing to go to another country with me!" I giggled.
He shook his head, "'Course I am. A friend in need, is a friend indeed."
I laughed, accidentally snorting and flushing red with embarrassment. "Where did you hear that from?"
He smirked, "A book I read once."

I giggled, turning bright red with shame and reproach. "Great laugh, by the way." He smirked. That's when I almost turned a completely different colour altogether. I was so ashamed and flustered, blushing till I felt faint. I choked a thank you that he didn't hear, and we continued walking. It had been ages since I remember enjoying a conversation. They always had an aim; they were always serious. This conversation was different; it was fun and entertaining. I didn't want it to end. I wanted to spend this entire trip having similar conversations. 

"How long left?" I moaned as we continued to venture down the ever-growing, never-ending streets. I felt dizzy and sick, like I would faint any second now. He looked across to me conscientiously, and sighed. "The train station is around fifteen minutes away." He paused. "Come this way."
I followed him to a dim part of street, covered by stalls and completely uninhabited. He gestured for me to go through and then slowly pulled the niqab off my head. He put the fabric over his own head, forming a sort of shelter, just me and him. I breathed largely, feeling relaxed and liberated. He pulled a bottle of water from his pocket and passed it to me, I took a few sips, letting the cold water wash away the dryness of my mouth. I handed it back to him, instead of putting it in his pocket his splashed droplets of it around my face. I closed my eyes and soaked up the satisfying feeling. When I opened my eyes, I blushed, suddenly realising how close together our faces were. His eyes looked even more gorgeous close-up. He smiled at me, "Better?" 
I smiled back, grateful and nodded. "A lot better. Thanks." 

We continued passed a stool selling freshly cooked samosas, strong smells of herbs and spices intoxicated my scarf and filled it with a poignant smell. A tired looking woman wearing a black hijab carried a heavy-looking bag whilst running after a group of hysterical children. Daniyal bashed against the woman and apologised profoundly before catching up with me and continuing our journey. I held Daniyal's hand for more reasons then I care to explain. He looked up at me, smirking, and squeezed it. "In case I get lost." I added, smirking under my scarf. He nodded, chuckling to himself. "Of course, good idea."
I gently pushed away a persistent stall-keeper, cramming a selection of brightly coloured dupattas at me. After ten seconds of incessant pleading for me to buy a scarf for 800 Pakistani Rupee, Daniyal finally convinced him to unhand me and we carried on our way.