11 - In Love - پيار ميں

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -Dr Seuss 

When I woke up that morning I was instantly greeted by Daniyal, who was leaning against the doorframe, the muscles in his arm flexed. He was wearing a new set of clean, well-fitting clothes and a brown scarf wrapped around his neck. He looked good, really good. Like a clothes model, even caught off guard. Had I taken a photo just then it would easily have been on the cover of some magazine, hundred of girls swooning at him on the front cover. When I sat up, wiping my bloodshot eyes tiresomely, I saw him stumble awkwardly, his arm falling slowly from the door frame. "Oh, you're awake." He stammered, ineptly. I laughed as he struggled to compose himself, clumsily. He brushed himself down and stood up, flashing me that same wonderful smile. Patting down my dishevelled static hair, I nodded, "Yep...Do you need anything?" 

He looked quickly behind him, and then back to me, chuckling nervously. "Um...Khala told me to check if you were awake yet. But I guess that's a stupid question?" He asked, rubbing the back of his neck, his cheeks aflame. "Yeah, I guess it is." I laughed. He laughed awkwardly back. I admired this new side to him, this shy side. "Yeah...sorry for waking you. I'm not the most stealthy person in the world." He grinned, tightening his scarf around his neck. I smiled, admiring his honesty and trying hard not to look at the outline of muscles bulging on his arm. It was a hard task, to say the least.  "It's okay. I was half-awake anyway...When are you leaving?"  I asked. "Um, now, actually." He replied, creasing his forehead. "Now? Well let me say goodbye properly first!" I stumbled out of bed and slid my feet into my sandals, pushing the orange blanket back onto the bed in a pristine manner. 

"Khala's packing a bag downstairs. Shall we?" He asked, pushing the door wider and gesturing for me to follow him downstairs. I nodded, following him down the stairs and beginning to familiarise myself with the house and it's structure. I knew that living here wouldn't feel as odd as I previously thought. "Do you think you'll be happy here?" He asked, looking back at me as we walked down the stairs in unison, passed several pictures of him. He flashed a glance at them and his cheek reddened. "Yeah, I think I will. I already feel like I've lived here for ages." I replied, looking at the photo he had glanced at. A picture of baby Daniyal, all chubby and adorable, wearing a nappy on his head, covered in soap suds and drenched in water as he sat in a metal tub. He had the same gorgeous smile and bright green eyes. "I'm glad to hear that." He smiled again. I swooned at his perfectly dimpled cheeks but managed to remain calm, though longing for him to smile again. "By the way, nappies aren't supposed to be worn on your head." I smirked, biting my lip. He looked from the photo to me, a grin growing on his face. "That tip would've been more helpful fifteen years ago." He chuckled. I smiled back, feeling an odd sensation knowing that I had put that smile there. 

When we got to the kitchen, I saw Hazeema at the table. She was wearing a white net dupatta and a turqiouse salwar kameez. She looked absolutely stunning, like an Indian actress from those Bollywood dramas that our neighbour back home, Mrs Koohi would always have on at full volume. Where even holding hands was dramatised and there was always shouting, crying or arguments going on. I felt my heart drop with such a blunt reminder of Kashmir. Hazeema was stuffing cartons and cans of food into the bag Daniyal had brought with him. "Khala, I don't need that much stuff!" Daniyal laughed, walking over to the table she was standing at. "If you arrive in Kashmir in a coffin, then I'll hold myself personally responsible. You need food and water for the long journey. It's very hot outside, today." Hazeema replied, ruffling Daniyal's hair around his head. 

Daniyal stood and watched as Hazeema continued to stuff his satchel with various belongings, some of which seemed completely ridiculous. She looked up at me whilst doing so and smiled. "Hello beta. How are you today? Did you have a nice sleep?" She asked, her voice warm and welcoming. "Yes, thank you. The room is really nice." I replied, smiling largely. 
She nodded, "And it's yours now! Sorry that I couldn't give you the pyjamas, by the time I had found them, you were asleep."
"It's okay. I was fine without them."