16|Stargazing|

Brandon Hunter's Point of View

Cassidy Jules Morgan. How could have I been this cold-hearted towards her? I have always been hard on myself, thinking that I never deserve forgiveness, friendship, and love. My gang is the only one who I let in. Now, I'm starting to trust Cassidy.

I must admit, the first time I saw her was in freshmen year. She thought that she could hide from the world by wearing disguising clothes. Always keeping her head down, never wanting to be seen. The strands of dark red hair, escaping her buns were mesmerizing.

Has she not been told how beautiful she is? Even with the faint scars that marked her skin, she looked like an angel. Irony it was. Her beauty came with fire, the day she saved me by shooting arrows, that's when I became infatuated with her even though I never let anyone know.

Thanks to her disobedience, it brought her closer to me and the gang. Hitting her was the greatest mistake of my life. I thought that by blaming her for something else would make my emotions go away but it didn't.

Whenever I'm with her, I feel something. The emptiness that I've lived through the accident vanishes by her presence. Why do I always get the feeling that I know her? It's not possible, right? Way back in Illinois, I lost half of who I am.

One day, I just woke up in a different city, not remembering anything. All I knew was I am Brandon Hunter and I lost my memories. Sometimes, I hope it goes back, a part of me wishes it because I feel like, in my past, I have been with someone who's waiting for me until today.

I snapped out of my midnight thoughts when I felt a hand on my shoulder. Sweet honey filled my nose and I knew it was Cassidy. How did she find me on the rooftop? Damn, this girl isn't afraid of anything, not even of heights.

"You'll drown," she said. I looked at her confusedly and she added, "Your thoughts seemed too deep." And she was right.

"Not afraid of heights?" She shrugged and slightly shivered because of the cold weather. I took off my hoodie and gave it to her. Cassidy smiled as she put the sweater over her and it looked too large but cute.

"Oh, I am terrified, I just wanted to give you some company," she said. We sat down on the roof, gazing on the stars, watching as the light of the moon illuminated the dark night.

I leaned closer to her and her kind of hissed in pain. "Are you okay?" I asked her. She looked away, trying to cover her face. I knew something was wrong. She hesitantly answered a 'yeah'

Then, it hit me. She was here because she didn't want to be in her house. She thought I didn't know but her douche of a stepfather has been on my watch list since the day he hit Cassidy. "Where does it hurt?" I asked her.

"It doesn't hurt me anymore," her saddened expression gave everything. "It's sometimes okay to feel the pain, Cass," I patted her back.

She shrugged off the topic and didn't realize that her head was completely leaning on my chest. My chin rested on the top of her head as both of our feet swung from the ledge. For minutes, no one talked, we just enjoyed the serene moment.

"What were you thinking about earlier?" She whispered. Should I tell her? Would it be okay to lie?

I vaguely answered, "My past."

Suddenly, she tensed up. Maybe because it got colder. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I sighed in relief when she didn't want to push the topic further, it seemed like she knew me at that moment.

"Can I ask you a question?" Then, her eyes looked up to mine and how could I resist her puppy eyes?

"Yeah?" I answered.

"How come you don't have a girlfriend?" Honestly, I don't know the right answer. So I told her, "I feel like there's someone out there for me."

"You do believe in fate, just like Darren said." That's true. Call it cliche but I know that everything that happens is destined to come true. It's like having a mate as a werewolf, except that I'm not.

"I don't want to bring someone in the darkness with me. Who can love a beast, Cassidy?" I said. Without hesitations, she answered,

"A beauty."

We talked for the whole night until I felt her slowly dropping her eyes. "Time for sleep, missy," I whispered to her but it was too late, she fell asleep in my arms.

I held her light body in my arms, close to my chest where she could hear my heartbeat if she was only awake.

Should I take her to the guest room? Or lay her down in my bed? It's nothing malicious so I left her in my bed and decided to get a glass of water for myself.

When I went down, I found the kitchen light open and Darren sitting on one of the stools. "No sleep?" I asked him.

He turned around and said 'yes.' Some nights, I would always find Darren, awake and thinking. Like me, we always have deep thoughts.

"She's a special girl, Brandon. Take care of her," he said. Why would he say something like that?

"She's nothing like the rest," I agreed to what he had said. But then, he asked me,

"Do you like her?" I don't know, I barely know her yet she makes me feel something that no one has ever brought to me.

"I never liked someone before, I don't know."

Darren just stared at me while he drank beer. Two in the morning, my cousin is drinking beer, I have a girl sleeping in my room, and I'm drinking water. Great.

"You might not remember your memories, Brandon, but I'm sure you're heart never forgot them," he said.

When was Darren ever figurative?