Chapter 27

The next couple weeks were stressful for me. I had moved out on my own. I left my husband, the man I adored. I left my job, that I loved. And I lost three family members that were like a brother and another set of parents for me.

Now I was sitting in my lawyers office through a phone conference.

I drove two hours out of my way for a divorce lawyer. My lawyer, Mr Flynn was discussing terms with Derrick's lawyer, Mr Everest.

I sat there, not saying a word. Every time Mr Flynn looked at me all I did was shake or nod my head.

Then I heard Derrick's voice. "This is ridiculous." He snapped. "Terra I know you're there. Can't we just work this out?"

Mr Flynn looked at me over his glasses. I stayed tight lipped and shook my head.

"Ms Howard doesn't wish to speak right now."

There was a long silence before Derrick spoke again. He was quiet and I could hear the hurt in his voice. Stay strong, I told myself.

"Give her whatever she wants." Then the line went dead.

Mr Flynn turned to me. "Congratulations Ms Howard." He smiled.

I know I won, but I didn't feel it. "I don't won't anything. Draw up the papers stating I'm only taking what I put in."

Twenty minutes later I signed on every line necessary and Mr Flynn faxed the papers to Mr Everest's office. I paid my legal fees and left, telling him to send the full signed copies to me via mail.

The drive home was lonely. I didn't feel like listening to music and once home, I curled up in my two bedroom cottage and cried myself to sleep.

It was early hours when I woke, I felt warm and sticky and wet. Suddenly a wave of nausea hit me. I got up and raced to the toilet, bringing up yesterday's food. I washed my mouth out and turned on my bedroom light.

That's when I saw it. I called for an ambulance, staring at my bed in shock. But how?

The ambulance arrived quickly and I let them in, explained everything to them and they drove me to the hospital.

I got treated there and I was still in shock. I heard the doctor and nurses and I nodded at them in disbelief.

I was kept in overnight. I picked up my phone and rang my sister. It was three in the morning.

After several rings she answered.

"Terra? What's wrong?" Came her sleepy voice. "Terra? Are you there? Hello?"

"Ellie..." My voice sounded so distant.

"Terra?" Ellie sounded more alert now. "Are you okay?"

"I'm at the hospital."

"What? What happened? Are you okay?"

I felt the tears running down my face. "I lost the baby."

A very short chapter, but exactly where I wanted to end this book.

I'm sorry to everyone that was expecting something different or more, but that's it.

Apologies

Vote and comment