Chapter 8 ~ Mila

Chapter 8 ― Mila

It had to be the hangover because it wasn’t normal for me feeling like this. All those emotions that overcame me when Zayn hugged me, or that black and bitter feeling that filled my body when I saw the way he looked at Alex… those feelings weren’t normal. Those feelings weren’t okay. It wasn’t okay that I wanted to tell him to get over her, to move on and stop looking so hopelessly in love with her. It wasn’t okay that I was so pissed for all that.

It was incredibly irritating that with each second that passed, the fact that Zayn was head over heels for Alex annoyed me more and more. It wasn’t my business and most certainly it wasn’t a reason to be bothered. It wasn’t my life and I just met Zayn, I had nothing to do with what he felt for his best mate’s girlfriend or what he didn’t feel. Alex was my friend, but even though, it wasn’t my problem. Nevertheless, I was standing there, looking at Zayn, feeling all these emotions bubbling in my chest and a lump in my throat.

What was wrong with me?

“You see the same, right?” A voice asked next to me surprising me so much that I literally jumped up. I looked right and there it was Liam, his eyes on Zayn who kept sending glances at Niall and Alex. Those two were totally oblivious to this world.

“What do you mean?” I asked almost in a whisper, my attention back to Zayn who evidently was making an effort not to pay attention to the couple at his left.

“Zayn. He says that he’s over Alex, that he never liked her that much, that he was just confused, but he doesn’t fool me. I can see through his lies even if I don’t tell him that,” replied the brunet and I looked at him surprised. His tone was so deep and serious and it carried all the concern he felt for his friend. It was evident even for a blind person that Liam really cared for Zayn and what was happening to him.

“Evidently, he’s not over her. He looks at her like a puppy in need of love. It’s kinda sad,” I commented trying not to look in Zayn’s direction.

“Yeah, that’s another reason why I don’t wanna see him sad, you know? That’s why I asked you to clear things up with him ‘cos I know this is difficult for him.”

I nodded understanding what he meant. Zayn was completely alone in this, but by choice. He probably didn’t want the rest to pity him or he just didn’t want them minding his business; but I didn’t think it was good for him to face everything alone. That always bottled up inside and the moment when everything would explode was going to happen sooner or later.

“He’s in love with her,” I mumbled and my own tone surprised m… so bitter, so dark. Liam seemed to noticed it too because he gave me a weird look. Or maybe it was because of what I just said.

“You think?” Okay, it was because of what I said.

I nodded looking away from his intense scrutiny. “Yeah. It’s obvious he worships the floor Alex stands upon.” At those words my chest tightened and I felt like there was no room for my heart to beat. It hurt. It damn hurt. “And Alex knows that, too. Maybe she doesn’t know the extent of his feelings because he tries to hide it, but she knows that he still feels something for her.”

I knew Liam looked at me surprised. Who wouldn’t? I just met Zayn the night before and we were drunk ninety per cent of that time, the other ten per cent we were arguing. But for some reason, it was so easy to read him when he looked at Alex. Everything was so clear, like an open book waiting for me to read it.

“How can you be sure of that?” He asked me and I knew he was going to do that.

“First off, because I know Alex and even if she tries to hide it, she feels sorry for Zayn.” And that was why she set up our date, expecting I would be the girl who made Zayn forget about her. I still was a bit mad at her for that. “And for some reason, it’s really easy for me to see what Zayn is feeling when he looks at Alex. It’s weird,” I mused. “Maybe it is because I saw the same look too many times.”