five

oliver

"What?" I asked, my face morphing into confusion.

Luke turned bright red as his head tilted down to to look at his lap, avoiding my gaze.

He seemed to have suddenly gone through some sort of epiphany as his eyes went wide and his mouth opened in shock. Then he had muttered something like 'sunshine' or 'shoreline', none of which made sense at all.

"Did you say something? Are you okay?" I questioned again, still frazzled by his out of nowhere reaction to who knows what. Luke tilted his head up to look at me, his piercing blue eyes gazing adorably at me. Even though his certain views on things made me want to repeatedly vomit, I had to admit he was one attractive son of a bitch.

"Yeah, fine, just saw something that caught my eye," he replied, rubbing the back of his neck. Soon, replacing the shy smile that graced his features, a small smirk took its place.

I nodded, knowing he wasn't really telling me the truth , or at least the full truth. I stared piercingly at him until he began to fidget with his fingers, and changed the subject.

We talked about music and the bands we liked until a young waitress walked by the table. She was probably in high school, typical popular girl. Disgustingly gorgeous and probably either had some sort of trophy boyfriend or slept with a different guy every night.

As she began to bat her eyelashes and lean forward, shirt drooping low, meanwhile asking Luke if he wanted more coffee, I mentally decided that the second option was probably correct.

When the waitress, apparently named Jenna, finally turned her gaze on me, a look of disgust rolled across her pretty face.

"Can I get you anything?" She asked me snobbishly, still directing a smile at Luke as if I wasn't sitting right across from him. I put on a fake smile, planning to reply sweetly. Kill 'em with kindness, just as my grandma always used to say.

Just as I opened my mouth to speak, Luke interrupted me.

"Can you get us another waitress?"

My jaw dropped open as Jenna gasped dramatically and I burst out laughing. I raised my hand to Luke for a high-five and he met me in the middle, our hands clapping together with a loud smack.

"Maybe this partnership isn't gonna be as bad as I thought." I said to Luke in realization, a real smile on my face this time.

At my words, a wide smile rolled across his features, his eyes crinkling. His smile was adorable, especially with his deep dimples, and I couldn't even deny it.

"Together, we're gonna write a kick-ass story." Luke agreed, ruffling a hand through his quiffed hair.

~

After a couple hours of staying at the cafe, we finally got the plot of our action/romance story down. Although I still disapproved of the romance part of our project, something about Luke's enthusiasm toward it made me pity him and change my mind about arguing about it further.

"So here tomorrow, 8 pm?" I checked in again with him. We had spent about 30 more minutes trying to figure a time that would work with both of our daily changing schedules.

"Every night." Luke added, and nodded, confirming my question.

We walked out of the cafe, after paying for the coffee and lunch, each paying for our own. The ding of the door rang out signalling our exit.

As a breeze of fresh air hit me, I pulled out my phone to check the time. It was already almost 5 pm, which meant we'd been in that cafe for almost 5 hours, just talking and planning. Time flies by, doesn't it?