Chapter 7

"So we're looking for an island that can't be found except by those who know where it is? The last time I did something like this I wound up stranded on an island." Jack answered finally.

Selene sighed as she leaned back into her seat, "yes you dimwit, but you won't be with your crew this time. Sail with The Ghost and I. Let your crew wreak havoc on Tortuga while we go looking for immortality."

Jack smiled lightly, "immortality is something I can't pass up. We have a deal, love."

Selene rolled her eyes, "I know, idiot. That's why I'm asking you to come with me instead of any other pirate."

"Will you quit insulting me?" Jack snapped at her.

Red lips twisted up in a mischievous smile, "No, scatterbrain."

The moon was bright, it cast a glow across the deck of her Ghost beautifully

The moon was bright, it cast a glow across the deck of her Ghost beautifully. She smiled softly as she looked on. This was why she was named The Silver Ghost because when the moon hit her just right, the ship looked ghostly. The Ghost cut through the waves quietly, but that was her making. She didn't want anyone knowing where they were this time. This trip was going to be one that stayed a secret until the time was right. Selene traced a pattern into the grain of the rail she was leaning against, and sighed. So much was about to happen; she was about to be the reason all of her crews' lives changed. Yet, it was necessary. They would be necessary for the future, but they couldn't do it the way they were. 

Silver eyes closed gently as dark lashes brushed against sun-kissed skin. So much was about to happen; she hoped it happened the way it was supposed to and didn't change. She laughed suddenly - a broken laugh that showed all the pain she didn't - then she bowed her head. Her children. Her grandchildren and every single one of her descendants was cursed because a demon won't leave them alone. It was hopeless. Useless, but she would do her best to prepare them. She would ensure they survived when the time came. Until then she would bide her time, just like the demon. They would bide their time until everything blew up in their faces.

Jack lay in his hammock that night, quietly thinking of how broken Selene seemed now that he had seen her up close

Jack lay in his hammock that night, quietly thinking of how broken Selene seemed now that he had seen her up close. She seemed as though she had given up hope. As though she had resigned herself to a damned life. He traced the spot in his palm, where not too long ago, he had been sentenced to die. He had died, but he was back. She was back. Everything was going to be okay. It had to be okay. It had to be. 

She couldn't leave again. He couldn't lose her again. 

Jack pushed the horrible, terrifying thoughts out of his head as he carefully rolled over in the hammock. Damn, he really missed his cabin with his semi-comfortable bed. He grinned suddenly. What was he thinking? Selene would let him sleep in the cabin for sure. Hell, maybe she would let him sleep with her. His grin turned sly as he slipped up the stairs and into the captain's quarters. 

"Took you long enough."

Her voice came from the shadows, but all Jack did was laugh. 

"I was being gentleman-like and.."

"And now your back to being a pirate? Good," she cut him off with a laugh.

Now that his eyes had adjusted, Jack found her easily. She, like all the others, didn't change much when it came to nightclothes. She had stripped off her jacket, vest, and effects leaving her in a white blouse and black trousers. Jack knew she was bare-foot when she moved. There was no click of her boot's worn heels as she glided across the boards. Just a soft tap as her feet hit. 

Jack rolled his eyes as he pulled his boots off and climbed into bed. She joined him quickly, intertwining their legs and laying her head on his chest. He ran his fingers through her hair quietly as he hummed an old tune he had picked up from her. He didn't know the words, just the soft melody she hummed when she got lost in her thoughts. Slowly, she fell asleep. With a gentle smile, he placed a soft kiss on the top of her head and lost himself to sleep as well.

 With a gentle smile, he placed a soft kiss on the top of her head and lost himself to sleep as well

She woke gently, having slept better wrapped up with him than she had ever slept on her own. Selene unraveled herself and rolled quietly out of bed. With a stretch, she turned to start readying herself for the day when she happened to look over at Jack. He was laying there so peacefully that, before she knew what she was doing, she pulled out her drawing supplies and lost herself in attempting to copy him onto a piece of paper. She smiled a bitter smile as she thought of the irony. The last time she had drawn, it was when they were helping Jack find his ship. She had ended up in the hands of the Royal Navy. Now, she was going to end up in the hands of unknown horror. 

He was going to be the death of her.