one.

❝  someone moved into the grey house. ❞

mike wheeler rode into town on his bike, his best friends trailing behind him

mike wheeler rode into town on his bike, his best friends trailing behind him. the sun had began it's descent over the town, and the teenage boy was determined to get to the arcade, beat max's high score in a video game, and get back home before curfew.

every friday night, mike and his friends did this. it was routine, and it hadn't changed since seventh grade when they went on thursday nights. there wasn't a whole lot of change in the boy's life. he's had the same friends since kindergarten, (with the exception of max, who joined the group when she began dating lucas) the same house, the same haircut. and the boy liked it that way. it was like a safety net. he knew everything will always fall back into routine.

the group skidded to a stop outside the arcade and locked their bikes to the bike rack (or propped their skateboards up against the bike rack). the teenagers entered the building, heading toward the group favorite game, dig-dug.

"you're first dustin." mike told the boy next to him. dustin nodded, walking over to the machine and putting in his quarter. he began battling away at the game, hoping to beat one of his best friend's scores. the group crowded around him, cheering him on. the boy slipped up and ended up dying, the screen yelling 'YOU LOSE!'

"it was a good try dusty, but watch the master work." will smirked, going to the machine and putting his quarter into the slot. he began playing, pushing and pulling the joystick and hitting the buttons. the group of teenagers cheered for him, but he got throw off and died.

"the master huh? then i must be a god when it comes to dig-dug. cause you guys suck." max smirked, entering her quarter into the slot and pressing play. the fiery redhead began carefully moving her player around the tunnels. the boys around her just groaned when she beat her own high score in the game.

"you cheat. somehow, someway, you cheated." lucas grumbled as max typed her name into the high score screen. the redhead turned around and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"you're just jealous that you can't beat me." she laughed, patting his head. the dark-skinned boy let out a grumble of defeat and wrapped his arm around his girlfriend. the watch that sat on mike's wrist beeped, signaling that curfew was approaching. the black-haired boy looked to his friends.

"we better get going, mom's gonna be pissed if i'm late again." the tallest announced before leaving the arcade and unchaining his bike like the rest of his friends. they hopped on their bikes, and max got on her skateboard. the group took off to mike's house first, since he lived the closest to town.

when the group of teenagers arrived at the wheeler home, something was...different. two houses down their was a moving truck parked in the driveway. there was a girl, who looked about the group's age, was carrying boxes into a grey house. there was a man, too, who watched her carry the boxes into the house as he sat on the porch.

"someone moved into the grey house." mike breathed, watching the girl return to the front lawn and pick up more boxes. "and holy fuck she's cute." he whispered the last part to himself. the girl  carrying the boxes glanced their way, noticing the five teens just staring at her without talking. she ducked her head and scurried into her house.

"nice job, we scared her away." will groaned, sitting back down on his bike. "we better get home guys, we've been late too many times this month." he told the group. they said their goodbyes as mike walked his bike up his driveway, waving to the group. he put his bike in the garage and ventured up to the kitchen, grabbing an apple and wiping it off on his shirt.

"no, we're having dinner soon." nancy said as she walked into the kitchen, grabbing the apple back and putting it down in the bowl. mike groaned at his sister and sat on the counter.

"someone moved into the grey house nance." mike told his sister as he tapped his fingers on the counter. for some reason, this boy could never sit still.

"was it the watsons? it was going around town that they were looking to move." the girl replied, peeling carrots for supper.

"no nance, they moved to hawkins. from somewhere. we have new people in the town." he told her, thinking about the girl he saw. she looked to be his age, and she was pretty. her short hair was slightly wavy, and she seemed to be sorta shy.

"hello? earth to michael?" nance shouted, waving her hand in front of her brother's face. he snapped out of his daydream, shaking his head and looking at his sister. "you should go over tomorrow, i'll bake some brownies that you can bring over to welcome them to town." she suggested, washing the carrots.

"that sounds like a good idea nance, i'll do that tomorrow." he smiled, going to his room and shutting the door, thinking about the girl he saw and her angelic beauty.