Up or Down

Severus cradled the boy that looked so much like Tom and him. He had been taken back by the onyx eyes when his eyes had briefly opened. His chin and nose were Tom's, which Severus was thankful for. The boy had shrunk after the magic had settled and Harry still hadn't said a word during the times he would wake up. Severus had peeked into his mind to assess the damage. A small four year old met him in the middle of a dark cupboard that appeared to be under the stairs. The boy's memories were almost all gone, the memories that made Harry Potter were missing. The boy didn't know his name and Severus couldn't understand what the boy had been trying to say. He had gently withdrawn, cuddling his child close as he wept once more for his child.
Severus was grateful that the boy could stay awake for longer periods of time but the boy never let Tom or him put him down. Since Harry weighed next to nothing and was the size of a small child, it wasn't a problem. It was the fact that he had to teach classes and Tom was too busy to watch Hades. Now he was trusting his Slytherins with Hades' safety.
"Uncle Sev! Can I hold Hades please?" Draco was like the older brother Harry, named Hades now, had never had.
Draco had been so angry when he had learned about Hades' abuse and visited often. When Hades first met Draco, he had reached for him before flinching back in fright. Draco spent the rest of that visit convincing him to get over his fear of him. The problem was that Hades didn't know good and bad apart. Draco somehow finished the visit with Hades curled up in his lap, sound asleep and clutching a stuffed dragon given to him by Draco. Now Hades would demand attention from Draco and Draco showered him with brotherly love.
Severus gave Draco the sleeping boy as a seventh year placed Hades' bag over his shoulder. Hades opened his eyes and looked at Draco. Draco beamed at him.
"Hello, Hades! We'll have a great day together!" Hades smiled and clapped his hands together. All the assembled Slytherin fell in love with him instantly. All the third years took turns holding him or playing games with him. Not grown up games like gobstones or snapfire, but blocks and rolling balls back and forth and playing with stuffed animals and even stuffed quidditch. The different years all took turns whenever the Third and Seventh years were unable to watch the boy. A month later, they had a schedule and stuck to it. The one time Hades had wandered off, Filch had found him petting Mrs. Noris. Filch had been instantly taken with the boy and it was not uncommon to see him carrying the boy as he patrolled during classes.
Albus tried to get the child removed but the castle itself protected the boy. Severus watched in amusement at the Faculty Meeting as Hades played contentedly with his stuffed dragon and Albus glared at the boy. Minerva couldn't help but smile as the boy poked her with it from the ground next to Severus' chair when he saw her looking at the toy.
"Hades is a distraction to the students and faculty!" Albus was starting that line again as everyone sighed tiredly. Minerva scooped the child up.
"Albus, he is so sweet! He stays." Minerva ignored the boy's fearful stiffness as she hugged him close. Professor Sprout nodded. Albus sighed before stating another arguement.
"Severus is not a suitable father. After all, the Apple did not fall far from the tree." Severus stood in anger.
"Are you accusing me of doing the damage to my son?!" Filch managed to hold Severus back for Albus to answer.
"You had a poor example and it is all you know. Someone had to have done it to him and I'm afraid that you are the only logical culprit." Albus acted as if it saddened him to say it. Albus reaches to take Hades from a shocked Minerva. Severus knew the truth to Albus' deception. He knew that Albus was looking for another Harry to sacrifice as his Harry had died and had chosen Hades.
Hades did something that shocked all of the staff members. He had been silently crying but when Dumbledore reached for him, he started to bawl and reach for Severus.
"DADA!!!" Hades panicked scream snapped him out of the daze Dumblebee's magic had placed everyone in. He snatched Hades up and rocked the panicked child back and forth. He was filled with pride that his son had spoken his first word.
"HE SAID HIS FIRST WORD!!!" Severus passed out at that realization. Minerva caught him and Hades continued to cling to him. Tom would not be happy that he missed this moment.