Owls for the Missed

A Little Fun Segment
Tom was sitting through another boring meeting, making faces at Lucius from across the room whenever Lucius looked in his direction. Tom was gloating when an owl soared in. He recognized it as Severus' personal owl. His mirth disappeared faster than he could mutter the killing curse. Worry bubbled up when the owl landed in front of him.
'Is Hades okay? Did Severus blow himself up? Did someone attack my baby?' These thoughts and many more flew through his mind as he gently opened the letter, ignoring the eyes watching him and the sense of dread that was building within him. He opened the envelope and carefully read the words. All conversation around the room stopped as he read, watching his reaction. The room startled when Tom spoke.
"Wh... WHAT?!?!" Tom looked like he was about to cry. Lucius became worried.
"What happened? Is Hades alright?" Lucius flinched at the look on Tom's face.
"I MISSED MY SON'S FIRST WORDS! HOW COULD I MISS MY SON'S FIRST WORDS?! I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON!!!" Lord Slytherin started to cry as he explained his distress to his friends. He couldn't stop the tears of both joy at the ability of his child to speak and sadness for missing his first word. He was inconsolable until Lady Longbottom read the letter than slapped him. He spluttered and she huffed in that knowing way.
"Well? Are you going to go home to see your son or are you going to stand here and make a fool of yourself? Go on, now!" She ushered him to the floo and made sure he was on his way home before restoring order and promptly dismissing the group of Lords and Ladies with a small smile.
'Honestly, all new fathers are the same.' She thought to herself as she flooed Home to write to Neville.