Puss in Boots in Boots

Challenge #5: Write a story set in a mall including a fairy tale character and an element of anthropomorphism.

"Does this sun cream protect against UVA and UVB?" asked Rumplestiltskin.

"Dunno," said the cat sitting at the counter, without looking up.

"Well what about this one?" He picked up a different bottle—far too small to be good value for money—from the little impulse-buy shelf dividing the queue from the rest of the shop.

"Dunno," said the cat, again. He licked one of his tiny cat thumbs and used it to turn the page of his magazine.

"Is there anything you do know?" Rumplestiltskin snapped.

The cat, at last, looked up. "I know I wouldn't wear that shirt with those shorts," he said.

Rumplestiltskin tutted and huffed. "This is the worst customer service I've ever had!" he proclaimed. "Do you know who I am?"

"Don't know..." said the cat, absent-mindedly turning another page, "don't care."

"Well, you should care!" Rumplestiltskin waggled a tiny finger over the counter. "There are plenty of other shops around here. I could easily take my business elsewhere!"

"Not my problem."

The cat hopped down from the cashier's chair, boots clacking against the linoleum. He tucked the magazine back into the rack by the door.

"I was just putting my feet up," he explained as he left. "I don't work here."