Chapter 12: Walking Mirror

Check out the DIMF trailer to the right and tell me if you get chills/when. :D

******************************************************************

My mother's. Those two words from Death seemed to smother the woman's voice into an oblivion.

There was a venom in the air; a sticky one. One which wrapped around our joints with its adhesive and leaving us like hopeless mannequins. The sensation of eyes made the hairs on my arms stand up. They were everywhere, yet nowhere. The most heated pair was directly behind me. Death.

Utter silence wrapped around the small room like a strangling noose, which seemed to crawl around my chest and tighten my lungs together within its dry, suffocating rope.

Then again, maybe that was just Death's hand around my throat. The fixation that leather glove had with my neck was becoming a serious problem. His powerful muscles kept me against the hard panels chest like a backwards cage. His breath at my neck was ragged and rough.

I wasn't sure if Death was keeping me safe, or keeping me silent so that he could listen for the voice again. Either way, I was clutching to him as well. Oh yes, I was groping the Angel of Death, my nemesis, in a dark, really creepy fun house.

Although he was scarcely keeping his calm, I knew Death was more anxious about being in the fun house than I was. He was afraid of whatever was within that mirror more than he was letting on. He was sweating on the inside.

"Is your mother still alive?" I croaked out, when minutes had passed without any sign of life in the area. Death remained silent. "Wouldn't now be a fantastic time to make us both disappear into your evil mist of black and thrust us into a safe environment?"

If by safety you mean giving him another chance to kill you...

"My mother is dead. She died over two thousand years ago. I watched her die," the masculine hiss at my ear said. So, maybe it didn't exactly answer my second question. Actually, all Death's answer usually did,  was remind me that he was way to ancient and daunting for my taste. 

"Then how did we just hear her--"

He squished my lips together with leather covered pointer finger and thumb. The warmth of his finger made me shiver. "Stay silent." I pushed away the ping of anger in my chest when I felt the edges of his cloak against my neck. The thick material left tingling sensations on my skin that washed all over my body.

He is dripping with power, yet this is his weak state? Only imagine how powerful he is when he's fell fed.

"I could have sworn I heard something." Death's breath seemed to absorb through his glove, into my mouth, and left an impression on my tongue with its deliciousness. Boy, even in the peak of suspense, I was still inhaling Death's delicious scent like it was my own personal heroine. This new guardian thing was getting out of control!

SCCCRRRRREEE!

The sudden resounding noise of nails running along the chalkboard made me jerk with readiness. Death had absolutely no reaction.

SCCCRRRRREEE!

"Death, please tell me you heard that."

"Heard what?"

It was repetitive, as if the claws had scratched a few more times, before we were basked in the sounds of our own exhalations. I shut my eyes, expecting the worst to happen and prayed that Death would just transport us out of that room. Death and my eyes were undoubtedly on the surface of the mirror with a moving surface. It had calmed, that was for sure. That didn't mean the scratching noise didn't come from it. Nevertheless, the soft hum that rang in my ears like the aftermath of a concert lingered perilously.