Chapter 27

The air was oppressive in the room, lifeless and still. Cybelline felt a heaviness in her chest as she walked in. A thin sheen of sweat covered her face, her hand closed over her tunic. It was as if she could never feel joy again.

She took a deep breath and surveyed the grey room. In the middle was a dais, on it was a very old looking throne. It would have been an opulent throne once upon a time, but now it was just a charred pile of twisted metal and wood. On top, the remnants of cracked jewels, burnt to black hinted at its former glory. Cybelline looked at it and frowned.

"What's the matter?" Killian asked, he glanced down. Cybelline looked suprised, "You...don't feel anything?" They shook their heads.

"The defensive magic is strong in here, only the strongest mages have been allowed into this place as their own magic protects them against it. Since you don't have any, it may have an effect on you." Kieran explained, he shook his head, "It was a mistake to bring you."

Cybelline looked at them, "You both have magic?"

Kieran smiled, "We have some power."

"Which was a secret." Killian said curtly. "One that you'll do well to keep after we get out of this place, page."

Kieran looked at his cousin with guilt, "Cousin...I"

"I pity your advisors. They must work so hard to keep state secrets with you around." Killian sighed.

They arrived into the center of the room, the oppressive feeling in Cybelline's mind intensified, her face paled in pain.

Killian frowned and addressed the room, "Guardian, enough games. Start the trial and get it over with."

It has been so long since anyone's entered. A voice whispered, I have been so hungry. Are you my sacrifices?

It seemed to come from the stones itself, softer than the rush of pages disturbed by a breeze and harsher than the howling wind through sea-side cliffs.

Killian held out the Light Crystal, "We came for the Ice Crystal."

The old, whispery voice chuckled mirthlessly, You are so confident for one so young. What makes you think I will give it?

"Because you are the servant to men." Killian answered, matter-of-factly. "You obey us."

The voice was silent.

"A little kindness wouldn't hurt." Cybelline said suddenly, through gritted teeth. The pain had not subsided.

"I see no reason to be kind to a thing." Killian said coolly. He looked at her, "Remember that the magical race who used to be in power slaughtered humans like chattel. 

Cybelline looked down. Once again, she was reminded of the strange ways of this world. Mages were held to highest esteem but non-human magical creatures were slaves.

Not your problem, she reminded herself, stick your head in the sand. But feeling of disgust remained. Mixed in with the pain.

Cybelline looked around, in the corner, she spied a small, shapeless shadow. Just a shade off from the normal air. She looked at the two men, why haven't they noticed it? 

She didn't point it out.

The whispery voice sounded again, Complete the trial and leave. I want you all gone.

Three gold bells appeared in front of them. Cybelline looked at the other two. 

Kieran smiled at her reassuringly, "Watch what I do." He touched the floating bell, it grew until it was his height, suddenly it flew over him and covered him from head to toe.