[14] ROSES

IT ALL ENDED WITH A KISS

The sounds of the party just below them, the cacaphony and euphoria of human teenagers. Aurora had found the proximity bearable for the couple of hours she had to suffer in the attic of the Cullen house, with only Jasper for company. His gift helped ease the clawing hunger for the both of them.

Aurora could see the way he saw her in the reflection of his golden eyes. To him, she was his personal angel, his own deity he nearly worshipped the ground she walked upon. He was so in love with her it was undeniable, atmospheric. In the near month Aurora had been living with the Cullens, the blond had made it ever so clear his devotion to her. She had to admire his persistency, even if it was futile. With or without her memories and all that had happened in between, they were never meant to be. He had yet to accept it.

"You came to the graduation."

She nodded stiffly. "I don't really wanna talk about it, Jasper." She nonchalantly drummed her fingers on the end of her skirt.

His brows furrowed as he looked at her. "For someone who expects us to be honest with you, you're hiding quite a bit from us," Jasper bluntly called her out.

He had caught onto the way Edward seemed to completely ignore the newborn's thoughts, never addressing her the same way as he anticipated what everyone else was thinking. It was almost as if he couldn't read her mind and hadn't even realized it. The simple question of why is what held Jasper's tongue for so long.

"Am I?" She played coy, looking up at him with those enchanting eyes like crimson blossoms from under a thick fan of dark lashes.

"You never speak of what you experienced in Volterra. Did they do something to you? Did they...hurt you?" That had to be the explanation for her strange behavior. "Is that why you blocked Edward from your mind?"

Her eyes flashed to his.

He instinctively flinched back, steering clear of her gaze.

It was the wrong move.

Her nostrils flared, eyes darkening with offense. "You're afraid of me. Of what I can do. Of what I've done." Her sharpened nails dug holes into the cushions beside her thighs.

"I could never be afraid of you. You're not a monster."

"Would you like me to regale to you what it truly means to be in the Volturi? I was never forced to do anything I didn't want to do there. I used my gift to hurt people, force them to do whatever I wanted. The vampires I've killed. The humans I drained. Whoever I fucked." She smirked, leaning closer. "You want to know, don't you?"