[6] REVELATIONS

If her own twin wouldn't tell her the truth, Jane would get to the bottom of it herself. Jane was beginning to piece together more and more ever since learning Aurora had lived in Forks. A little bit bit more research revealed Aurora had stayed there for a few months, attended the same school of the Cullen coven, and coincidentally left the town not long after them.

Then, she found the final piece of the puzzle by the looks of the couple standing in the background in a picture she found posted on the internet of humans dressed in tacky, cheap gowns and rumpled suits. A dark haired girl, tanned and her arm in a cast, smiling up at a golden haired vampire with golden eyes. Bingo.

She was called away from her new findings by her masters. What situation she found in the throne room brought Jane elation she hadn't felt in a long time. She found coincidences most beautiful when they unlocked ugly chaos.

000

"I don't see the point in all this," Aurora groaned as she read another history book in only a few minutes and wrote a three page essay on it in the next. She had been holed up in the study for hours and Afton was a killjoy—she missed Alec as frustrating as he was with his riddles and secrets. "It's St. Marcus Day—all the humans down below are making me thirsty." She glanced out the window where far below a sea of crimson celebrated the city's holiday.

"As Immortals, we are superior to the human race. As the Volturi, we are above all," Afton declared seriously to both Aurora's annoyance.

He handed her back the essay after reading and grading it in less than a minute. Vampires got things done efficiently, even if essay writing seemed frivolous for her lessons, but like everything, even her writing had to be perfect as a member of the Volturi. She knew she wouldn't forever be given this crash-course of education and training, her masters just wanted her prepared. But it was boring.

Aurora shook her head at the red marks on her most recent essay, marking her information as wrong although she swore it was the right. "No, the newborn armies of the American South were not from Texas. That was just the battleground," she argued with the record keeper.

Afton was far from the most valuable or gifted member of the guard, but as the coven's head record keeper, he was designated as Aurora's tutor. The blond man glared at her slightly. "I'll have you know—"

"She is correct." Alec said, entering the study room, "Afton, do brush up on the facts. Maria Malfeazar was the creator from Gucharezz, Mexico, who wanted to expand her territory into the United States."

Maria was a puppeteer.

Aurora was confused where the random thought had appeared from. She met Alec's stare. She hadn't seen him since he demanded for her to tell him her truest wish, which she still had no idea of. What else could she want? And why was he always on the margin of disappointed with her as if she was amnesic on purpose?

"Enough of this. Come along, Aurora." Alec, always so blunt, offered her his hand. He was dressed in fine black wool military style coat today with a red button down underneath, a nice change from the usual plain all-black suits. It was a special day after all. She wondered if they got special meals then to celebrate the holiday too, a vampire twist to what humans usually do. 

"She still has three more wars to go over."

"I'll take it over from here, Afton," Her creator and closest confidant dismissed her tutor and led her out into the corridor. She simply looked at him, amused by his antics. "What? No, thanks?"