[20] DAWN

brief recap: after the events of the newborn battle ending with bella being turned, bree tanner surviving, and the cullens left in shambles, rory has willingly returned to the overtly corrupt volturi to be with alec and protect everyone she cares about. in typical alec-rory fashion, just after taking steps towards solidifying their messy relationship, alec misunderstands a private conversation between jasper and rory during her formal ascension to the guard, and subsequently lashes out. the masked ball ends with rory's acceptance of her immense power, casting her farther away from the loved ones she has lied for and the happy ending that she deserves.

o00

            THERE WERE FAR WORSE THINGS THAT AURORA OF THE VOLTURI could have done after her illustrious public debut into vampire society. She could have seized total power. Give herself everything she's ever wanted. Freed herself from the Volturi. But she couldn't afford to be selfish. Not even with all the power in the world.

Much like the Sun, she had begun to burn too bright to hold onto the world she had known.

Her mother. The Blacks. The Cullens. Alec.

It had been months since the masquerade.

Things were different.

When the dawn broke beyond the horizon that early winter morning, Aurora arose from her desk just seconds before four vampires approached the outside of her door. She wore only a silk dressing gown, her face fresh and clean.

"You may enter," her voice called out, crisp and cold before one could knock.

A triage of women filed into the room in perfect rhythm. They all wore the standard black cloaks of the Volturi elite guard—with one deviation. Long, crimson veils covered their heads—the same one Aurora wore pulled back for the time being—sheer enough for them to see out of, but opaque enough to blur their faces from onlookers.

"Good morning, padrona."

The unison tone would never get any less creepy, but she had grown used to it. The new title...was another thing. As if she were somewhere between the Guard and the Masters, Aurora was granted a higher role of respect without her wanting it.

They split as they furthered into the room; one headed to her vast closet while the others followed Aurora to her vanity table. They began the usual protocol of arranging her hair and applying touches of makeup to enhance her already flawless complexion further. Aurora sat perfectly still throughout it all.

Rumors ran rampant after the ball with her magnificent, unbelievable display of power. People were filled with terror and wondered about her unique gift to completely control people—not just their minds, but their very person. Some whispers feared Aurora could create an army of zombies—a mindless mob without any objection to her will.

Suddenly, supernaturals from all over and everywhere emerged from the shadows. Or she finally had no other choice but to see the truth of the world. She learned of the vampire breed created by witch magic. Of witches and wizards hiding in their own corners of the globe. True children of the moon and shifters of the natural land.

Her ascension had awakened the shadow world.

Many wanted to meet the Controller.