Chapter 2 Audience With Nasuada

I stopped once to look back at Orrin. He was talking with a man that I assumed to be his General. Orrin was giving the four of us quick glances as I gave him my cold, hard stare.

'Let's go before we start anything,' said Fírek.

I silently agreed and once at his shoulder, I scrambled up to the saddle, using his foreleg to boost myself over. I quickly strapped my legs to the saddle with the leg buckles. After securing my legs, I grabbed the front of my saddle. Halle was already seated and waiting.

Fírek bolted forward, his wings only partially open. His claws churned up the moistened earth, flinging mud in the opposite direction of his feet. Propelling his wings downward towards the earth, Fírek launched us into the sky, his hind legs pushing us from the ground.

Kaida and Halle followed close behind, matching our pace. We silently left the army and King Orrin behind us, our dragons pumping their wings swiftly, away from potential danger.

Suddenly I felt another consciousness attempting to breach my mind, but I recognized the presence, it was Halle. I lowered my barriers, allowing Halle and Kaida to enter my mind.

'Why would he gather his army? Alagaësia is in an era of peace,' Halle asked through a mind message.

'I don't know,' I replied simply. 'It does seem a bit odd and extreme.'

'What about Murtagh and Nasuada?' Fírek suggested, keeping his gaze forward.

'Good thinking,' I said with a sudden realization. 'That may explain these events.'

It had been known by Eragon, that since Murtagh's disappearance he had come out of hiding just recently, to visit Queen Nasuada.

It had been common knowledge that since before the Queen had been taken captive by Galbatorix, they had hidden romantic feelings for each other. But after Murtagh had charmed her, Orrin had become envious, it had remained this way ever since; it could be possible his visit had resurfaced his old feelings. It could have angered him enough to launch an attack on the Queen while she was off guard.

I relayed my suspicions to Halle. She and Kaida discussed it over for a few moments before concluding that in fact it could be possible. With this knowledge, I began to think of ways to approach Eragon about it when we returned.

The wind whipped my hair as Fírek sped up, his powerful wing gusts throwing me forward in my saddle with every movement. He arched his great neck before bellowing a loud, deep roar. Kaida roared in response, her great teeth sparking in the sun rays.

'My legs and stomach are starting to cramp Fírek,' I told my dragon, fatigue was beginning to overcome my resistance.

'Celest needs to rest,' Fírek told Halle and Kaida.

Kaida focused one golden, milky eye on me, 'Halle needs a break too, she's beginning to get saddle sores.'

Kaida then sharply turned her head away from me, and descended diagonally to the right, Fírek in pursuit. As we pierced the layer of think condensation, green forests became visible.

'Where are we?' I asked him.

'Around lake Tüdosten, we should make camp, we'll reach Ileria tomorrow afternoon.'

I nodded, 'Just stay away from Furnost. I don't feel like being asked to stay somewhere.'

He rumbled in reply, the citizens of Furnost were sure to ask us to rest within walls, something undesired by us. Fírek relayed the message to Kaida, assuring me that they did not desire to camp near Furnost.