Chapter 5 Eragon

Marilis, Halle, and I all turned around to see Master Eragon.

He was thirty-two years old now, though he looked to only be nineteen because he controlled the way he looked, and partially because of being half elf. He had shaggy blonde-brown hair and his Elven ear tips peaked out from under his mane. He wore a frowning and disappointed expression with creases on the side of his mouth. On his muscular body, her wore blue and white armor with a sapphire robe sweeping to one side across his chest, covering the sheathe to his legendary sword, Brisingr, which he gripped with his right hand. Overall, one of the most dangerous opponents other than Murtagh, Eragon's half brother, and his dragon. I flinched under his mighty electric blue gaze, and quickly looked away.

Kayna made herself look innocent by again twirling her red hair again. Marilis didn't look innocent, in fact she seemed to purposely make herself look like she had just done something she wasn't supposed to. She shook with fury as she tried to master her rising temper with the entire situation. Halle just stood there, her expression changing awkwardly, trying to inch away slowly. Halle had seen the whole ordeal and I knew Eragon wouldn't let her leave.

"Halle. You saw what happened, you must remain present. But the rest of you," he motioned to Kayna's posse, "May leave."

"Eragon," Kayna started, "I can assure you this was Celest's fault entirely. We were minding our own business when they-"

"Zipp it Kayna," Eragon said annoyed, motioning to zipping his lips, "I saw the whole thing. Kayna you may go to Madam Foster's cave if you believe your injury is that painful. As for you two," he said to Marilis and I, " we will discuss your punishment after class now call your dragons, flying starts in only a few moments."

Kayna had taken Eragon's offer and nursed her wound it like a baby. Her posie were mooning over her and shooting harsh glares at Marilis, Halle, and I.

'Fírek, Flight Class is starting. Please stop socializing,' I said with a defeated voice.

'I'm on my way,' he said.

The rest of the Riders occupying the patio, were starting to mount their dragons. Then came Fírek, and the other dragons parted slightly so he could land. 

'Hello my love,' he said once he had landed, his eyes slitted lovingly.

He affectionately blew smoke in my face, and I nuzzled his snout.

'Time for class.'

I climbed his left shoulder and swung my right leg over before buckling in the my legs. When we had everyone in our Flight Class present, the dragons spread out practically wing-tip to wing-tip across the patio for take off, with Eragon on the brilliant sapphire Saphira in front of the entire group. The dragons pushed off the stone with their hind legs, launching their Riders into the air. We flew to the magically formed cliff in the middle of the mountain that the Riders' Hall was carved into. This is where Eragon would give instructions. 

When we reached the cliff the dragons lined up in a horizontal line so when they were called by their dragons name, they didnt have to push to the head of a line.

'What happened with Kayna?' Fírek asked one he had settled on the cold rock of the mountain cliff.

'Marilis slapped her. Then I punched her in the lip,' I replied, partially ashamed.

'I know I'm supposed to be the wiser one here but, about time,' Fírek replied, chortling smoke.

I brushed Halle's mind and when she recognized my touch, she let me through her barriers.

'Halle, why do you think Kayna acts the way she does? I mean she's just horrible,' I asked. 'The way she treats anyone who is different.'

'Well lets think for a moment,' Halle said sarcastically. 'One, she's full of piss. Two, she has a different man in her bed each night because she thinks its cool. There are your reasons. Oh and she treats everyone like that because she wants to keep an invisible hold over everyone she thinks is lesser.'

I laughed at Halle's humor. She always had something smart to say that would cheer me up.

Before I could reply to Halle, Eragon called Fírek and I. Our task, to successfully fly upside down in a loop twice across the void, and slice a magic flying orb with Feahthum.

The upside down was what I dreaded, I never had had the stomach for it, and Fírek knew that. But, I concluded that in battle, I would be forced to go upside down, so I pushed my fears down, and tried to calm myself down. Fírek launched himself off the cliff, and I dug my knees into the saddle and gripped the handle until my knuckles turned white, bracing to go upside down.

'Calm down, I won't let you fall!' Fírek reassured me.

I closed my eyes tightly, and when I had opened them, we had successfully gone upside down...once.

'One more,' I told myself.

I squeezed them shut again, feeling gravity tug me up for a short moment, and my stomach squeal its protest. Then, it was over.

Now, for cutting the orb. I hurried to draw Feahthum, because Fírek was swiftly approaching the sky blue bobbing orb. I heard it slide from its sheathe, and quickly leaned to the left and swiped through the air. With the sound of metal cutting metal, the orb was sliced vertically. I heard some cheers from the other Riders, mainly my friends, as Eragon, hovering just outside the flying boundary on Saphira, gave us an approving nod. Fírek snorted as he winged back around to the cliff, as if that had been the easiest thing in the world to complete, and back-winged furiously before landing. He walked confidently back to our spot in the horizontal line, and swished his tail with satisfaction.

'Well done,' I said patting his neck lovingly.

'Likewise,' he said before swinging his neck around and playfully nibbling my foot.

I gave a small giggle and he swung his head back around.

We waited out the rest out the class, just talking. Then we had lunch in the Riders Hall, we didn't exactly have a dining room, we cleared out the sword play room and moved tables in. We were aloud to sit with whoever, though most Riders stayed with their own colors, awkwardly enough. After, lunch everyone but Marilis and I had a free period because of the fight we had caused earlier,  the hour would have been Archery, my favorite class, for my class. Fírek had launched me up to his and Saphira's cave. After dismounting, I trudged inside nervously, with Fírek by my side, waiting to be sentenced. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Keep reading I have a surprise in store o.O