Chapter 6 Discussing King Orrin

Eragon sat in his throne in the back of his cave, next to where Saphira would nest, the shadows almost completely obscuring his face. His throne was made of wood to support the bottom, seat, and arms. But gold was embedded where his head rested. Saphira was by his side, in her nest snoozing with puffs of smoke escaping her nostrils, her sides rising and falling in rhythm. When she heard Fírek and I enter the cave, she woke. She swiveled her neck upwards, and fixed one almost boulder sized, sapphire eye on her son and his Rider.

A silent message passed between mother and son.

'What did she say?' I asked him.

'She is troubled by Kayna, but says for some reason she is troubled by you more,' he said gazing down his snout at me.

'Why? What did I ever do?' I asked no one but myself, and I brushed a strand of blonde hair away from my face and readjusted my headband.

"We will wait for Marilis and Saeria but for now please, tell me about your trip," Eragon said with a smile I thought didn't fit the occasion. "How was Nasuada?"

The way he asked about Nasuada and not King Orrin concerned me, maybe he had his own suspicions about Surda's king.

"Well," I explained. "We first arrived in Surda, two days after our departure. Kaida and Fírek had coordinated us to land in Aberon's western fields where we would track up to the city and then request an audience with his majesty."

Eragon brought his hands up to his recently shaved chin and  quickly nodded me on.

"But when we arrived, King Orrin was there...with his army," I said with a huff. "We asked him why he had gathered his army, and he didn't respond. I have reason to believe that he and his army were just about ready to march to Ileria and attack, until he saw us and we reported some of his Rider were to return soon."

Eragon sighed heavily, and gnawed on his nails. "You didn't push the subject?"

I shook my head, "I didn't want to anger him. Even with two dragons, we were outnumbered."

He nodded again. "Very wise. I must send my spies. I have never wished to use this tactic, but we have to see if your theory is true, I suspected that he would be angered when Murtagh and Thorn returned for a short visit. But now maybe he will change his tactics if Adurna and Orayl are going back to Surda."

I nodded. Adurna and Orayl and their dragons were due back in two days, a graduation was to be held.

Just then, Marilis and Saeria landed out on the ledge, I knew she would be late, she never was one for even the slightest of punishments. She was agitated, and kept shaking as she dismounted Saeria, who followed her in for support. When they entered the cave she mouthed, 'I'm scared,' to me and I murmured back, 'I know.'

Fírek was greeting Saeria when Eragon clapped his hands together and said, "Ahh Marilis. Finally time for your punishments. But first let me see your swords."

Eragon gestured up with his hands.

I drew my sword, Feahthum, It was a shimmering dark and light green all at the same time and I regretted giving it to my leader. 

"In the sheathe please Celest," he said.

I nodded and re-sheathed Feahthum before unbuckling it around my waist.

I reluctantly handed Eragon the sheathe and all. He examined it for a few moments, brushing his pointer finger up and down it's handle. Then he sat it on the ground by the base of his throne.

Our new Riders swords were just as strong, thin, and lightweight as the old ones. On this island the first Riders had found a new metal called Dragon-Beam Steel that was steel formed deep in the Earth that the Riders had forged with magic.