Chapter 4 Marilis

"Celest you dumb butt training starts in an hour!" a familiar voice exclaimed.

I pulled my blanket over my eyes and whined in complaint.

"Come on! Get up!" it repeated.

I shoved down the covers to my thighs to see my friend Marilis, the very tall Dwarf. She had chocolate brown hair that hung to her shoulder blades. She was heavily built, as most Dwarves were, with arms more muscular than an Elven or human girl. Like her hair, her eyes were chocolate brown, with a hint of honey color, that warmed you up when you felt sad.

Dwarves were usually the size of three or four feet, but she was almost my height, a staggering five feet for a Dwarf.

"Ready sleepy head?" she asked.

I pulled my covers up again, all the way over my head.

"Ryker and Shana are in the courtyard," she teased.

Curiously, I peaked out of the covers. Marilis sure knew how to get me out of bed. But, I still had to make sure.... I jumped out of bed, literally jumped. Like the stalagmite, magic had been used to join two slabs of rock in a corner with a small gap to enter. The purpose for the slabs was for changing.

I ran to the changing slabs and quickly slipped through the entry crack. I stripped down my clothes from the previous day, and grabbed new from the pile in the corner. I put on my best short tunic, which happened to be green. I also put on a black skirt that had small metal plates on the separators, black leggings, my dragon riding boots, and finally, my black head-band ribbon around my forehead. i brushed the loose hair from the head-band and rushed back out into the cave. I posed mockingly in front of Marilis, pursing my lips, with my hands on my hips.

"How do I look?" I said trying not to laugh.

"You look fine, as always. But never, ever, do that pose again!" she replied with a creeped out expression on her face.

I laughed before running back into the changing slabs. I came back out with my soiled clothes from the day before.

"Take these to Madam Foster will you?" I asked before shoving them into Marilis' arms.

Madam Foster was the kitchen, cleaning, and substitute flying teacher when needed.

Then, before leaving, I gave her a little sarcastic seductive wink. I then raced out to the pathway landing where I waited for Fírek to pick me up from hunting. 

This time, Marilis hadn't been lying. Ryker was standing next to his friend Ronyn, deep in conversation. Shana, his golden dragon, was near by, watching him closely.

Ryker was a tall boy, with blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. He was also an elf, but he was seventeen, a year older than me.

It was a sunny day that promised extreme temperatures, with the sun beating down on the mountains and the Riders' Hall.

Fírek then appeared around the side of the mountain, coming to the ledge without me even having to call him. He buffeted me with wind as he gracefully landed next to me.

"Saddle!" I called into the cave to Marilis.

A few moments later, Marilis came out with the saddle.

"First the clothes, now the saddle," she grumbled, though I knew she wasn't upset.

She trudged back to her own cave and I quickly tugged on on the saddle straps under his front legs. Then, I climbed his shoulder in a hurry, and struggled into the saddle. With only a short drop, I saw no need to strap in my legs.

'Well good morning sleepy! I've been out hunting all morning!' Fírek greeted me.

'Good to know,' I replied good heartedly, though I was growing impatient.

Fírek did a dragon chuckle before pushing off the landing with his back legs, and gliding down to the courtyard. Once he landed, he made sure his claws scraped the cobblestone dramatically to get Ryker's attention. I dismounted him, and he immediately rushed over to greet Shana. I laughed at my dragon before walking over to Ryker, who was waving Ronyn goodbye.

'Perfect timing!' I thought to myself as I strut to Ryker.

"Hey! The princess came back!" Ryker said enthusiastically when he saw me.

'I have a major crush on you and you don't even know it,' I thought to myself, my heart fluttering.

We were friends at the time and he treated me as he treated Ronyn.

"You know I hate it when you call me that," I replied with a fake hurt smile.

He just laughed, flashing his sparkling white teeth...

 I embraced him. He looked taken aback as I tightly squeezed his neck.

"I missed you," I whispered.

He then hugged me back and said, "Well I missed you too."

I let him go and he bid farewell, telling me he had to be leaving with Shana to get himself ready for training.

'How can he not see I love him,' I thought again.

'Because, it's too obvious you like him that he sees it as sister brother love,' Fírek interrupted.

I paid no attention to my know it all dragon as Marilis and Saeria landed. Saeria was a brilliant dark  sapphire blue, almost comparable to Saphira herself.

"Heyo!" Marilis said, after she had dismounted Saeria, who was laying in the sun outside the courtyard.

We then walked to the patio, that was used for flying tactics, where we would start our flying lessons. Marilis was teasing me that I didn't have a boyfriend, and she did. I hated him. His name was Carnon. He was so annoying and I couldn't see how she standed it. Oh well it was her guy.

When we arrived at the patio Halle and Kaida were already there, so Halle came to greet us. Then I saw Kayna. She was so annoying and prissy. Twirling her hair, trying to get the guys' attention. She was 'miss perfect' I guess.

She quickly saw me, and her smile dropped to a frown, as if she had to take care of something annoying. She and her posse of six then girls came over, all of them with their arms crossed.

"See you were flirting with Ryker, you shouldn't be wasting your time. He's way out of your league," she said with a fake smile as she continued to twirl her hair.

She used to date him. Before he met me that was. He said he was pissed off with her when I came and comforted him and he later broke up with her.

I balled my fists and was determined to someday show her up, but not now, not on Eragon's island.

"Shut up priss," Marilis said.

"Oh ya, and um, how you gonna make me hun?"

"Like this," Marilis said and slapped her face leaving a huge red spot on her cheek. She snorted with fury, and her jaw dropped open and she tried to slap back but Marilis ducked. 

"Really?" Halle asked from behind us with her arms crossed in front of her chest.

Kayna then slapped me, even if I hadn't done anything. I punched her face. I was sick. I was tired. I was sick and tired of this crap, she treated my like pig crap so I was going to treat her the same. I left a huge mark on her lip that turned black and blue instantly. Her lip was bleeding as well, and her jaw dropped again for the second time.

"That's enough girls," a deep masculine voice said behind us.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MWAHAHAHAHA!!! Keep reading:)