Not Quite a Fairy Tale

When Ritchie and Joey came back into the house, Maria had the orange juice out and was opening a bottle of champagne

"Someone's feeling festive," Ritchie said, grinning at her as he walked into the kitchen to help Joey drag out the platters and bowls of food Jillian had left in the fridge. Ritchie and Joey loaded up the table. Ritchie felt his stomach rumble as he sat down in front of the spread of bagels, smoked salmon, cream cheese, chopped onions and tomatoes, capers, and a variety of cold salads, fruits and pies. And, of course, Maria's homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Maria poured mimosas for herself and Ritchie and topped off Joey's orange juice with ginger ale, raising her glass in a toast.

"To the best Christmas ever!" Joey broke in before she could speak.

"I'll second that," Ritchie said, sending Maria a look that made her blush all over again. He loved watching the slight flush on her skin and knowing that wanting him was what put it there. He was already thinking of ideas to occupy Joey after they spent some time on the water later that afternoon. He had a sudden image of Maria lying across his bed wearing nothing but the pearl earrings, smiling up at him, and he wanted to make that image a reality as soon as possible.

"I can't remember when I've had a more memorable Christmas," Ritchie said.

"Now I have news that makes it even better," Maria said, her face lighting up with excitement.

Maria took a long breath and let it out slowly. "Vivienne called to say that a local developer is interested in commissioning some of my paintings for a condo building downtown!"

One look at her face and Ritchie knew the phone call he'd made to an acquaintance on the Arts and Business Council had been well worth it.

"What do you mean?" Joey asked.

"It means," Ritchie said, "that your sister's paintings are going to be hanging in the lobby and new condos that are up for sale in a fancy building downtown."

"You've heard about this kind of thing?"

More than she realized. But Ritchie was keeping that bit of information to himself. "There's been a long time marriage between real estate and art for high-end Miami development. I think extending it to some of the more mid-priced condo buildings is new."

"I'm just so excited! I don't know how this developer even found out about me. I guess Vivienne must know someone who had a connection."

Ritchie had a pretty good idea that Maria wouldn't appreciate knowing that he'd made a few phone calls on her behalf. It was a good idea. His visit to Vivienne's studio had made him think about it in the first place. But that didn't mean he was interfering. However, considering the way Maria balked when he tried to get her to cut back on working so hard, and her continued insistence that she contribute financially toward hers and Joey's living expenses, he didn't want to take any chances on what her reaction would be if she found out he had anything to do with this opportunity coming her way.