We've Met Before

Jonathon made introductions around the table, and Maria nodded numbly, wondering why it had never occurred to her that he might be here. Bradford Thornton. Partner at one of the most elite law firms in Miami. After all, this was his world, not hers.

Maria managed to maintain her composure as she assured Jonathon she'd be happy to help him decide the best spot to hang his new painting, then she excused herself. Yes, she should have known he might be at an event like this. But seeing him sitting at Jonathon's table was just too much.

Maria stood at the long marble counter in the ladies room, took several deep breaths, opened her small black clutch, and then freshened her lipstick. It was fine. No big deal. She'd just go back out to the table, find Ritchie, and put it out of her mind.

She stepped out of the restroom and felt a hand take her elbow.

"I need to speak with you."

It was him. Of course, he had followed her, waited for her.

"I have nothing to say to you. I had no idea you would be sitting at Jonathon's table."

"Really?" His grip tightened. "I don't believe in coincidences. What kind of a game are you playing?"

"Nothing. I'm not playing games. Just leave me alone."

"No, you leave me alone. It's bad enough you've ingratiated yourself into this event, and the Arts and Business Council project, by sleeping with Ritchie Perez.

"Oh, yes, I know all about that. How he called one of his friends on the council and set up a deal for his little plaything. No one on the council had ever even heard of you. Of course, I had to go along with it. Did you know I was a member when you convinced your lover to call in his favors for you? Or was that just a coincidence too?"

"What are you talking about? Ritchie didn't have anything to do with me getting that position." But even as she said the words, she realized they weren't true. Ritchie just hadn't told her.

"You're such a liar. And I suppose it's just another coincidence that Perez' partner paid a ridiculous amount for that painting of yours."

His gaze swept over her, and suddenly the dress she'd worn so proudly seemed cheap. She felt cheap.

"It's not that I don't know what Perez sees in you. You look exactly the same."

"Don't even go there."

"No, I'll tell you where you don't go. You leave my wife and my family alone. You'd be smart to avoid the kinds of events you could expect us to attend. I won't have you causing embarrassment to her." She just stared at him, and he added. "Oh, yes she knows all about you. You and that degenerate brother of yours. He's still in prison, isn't he?" He shook his head. "Pathetic.

"I told my wife about the...situation...years ago, and she understands that it was an indiscretion on my part. And something that should have been taken care of at the time."

"Taken care of? That's a horrible thing to say."

"It's a fact. A word of advice. Ritchie Perez has made a name for himself in this community. You get yourself pregnant in the hopes of latching onto a wealthy husband, and he'll toss you aside."

"Not everyone is as cruel as you."

"Or as naïve as you, apparently. Listen, you stay out of my life, and I don't care what little games you play with Perez. But you try to play games with me, and you'll be very sorry."

She felt a movement behind her.

"There you are. I thought you were having trouble finding your way back from the restroom." Ritchie looked from Maria to Thornton. "I wasn't aware you two knew each other."