Say It Isn't True

Unfortunately, Tito didn't like the idea of her and Joey coming with him anymore than he liked the idea of him staying in Miami.

She sat down across from him at the table in the visiting area and told the only person who would understand.

"I saw him yesterday."

"Who?"

"Our father. He was at the charity thing. I guess I should have expected it."

"Don't ever use that word to describe him. Our father was the man who raised us from age ten. That bastard was nothing but a sperm donor."

"You're right."

"That's what's got you so upset? Don't even pretend you're not. I knew the second you sat down something was bothering you."

"No. It's not that."

"So what's the matter?" His eyes narrowed. "It's Perez, isn't it?"

"Yeah."

Tito slapped his palm on the table, and a guard looked over. He took a deep breath and lowered his voice.

"What did he do?"

"Oh, God, Tito, I fell in love with him."

He leaned back in his chair. "And you're worried what I'm going to think about that? Look, it's your life. I'm over blaming him for putting me here."

"Since when?"

He shrugged. "You know how sometimes you tell yourself something so long you actually start to believe it?"

She shook her head. "But Ritchie Perez did put you in here. He's the one who refused to even consider a plea deal."

"Enough," Tito said. "I'm the one that put me in here, Maria. Me. Nobody else."

"You were just at the wrong place at the wrong time."

"Just stop it." He raised his voice, then glanced over at the guard and lowered it again. "I lied to myself, I lied to Mom, I lied to you, all these years. Because it was just easier. I knew about the drugs, I knew about the guns, I was part of all of it, Sis. Everything I was headed for was bad. Hell, by locking me up, Ritchie Perez probably saved my life." He drummed his fingers on the table.

"I'm a different man, now. And damned if I'm going to walk out of these doors carrying with me all that self-pitying, victim crap that's been weighing me down for the past eight years."

"What happened to you?"

"I finally grew up," he said simply. "For some of us it takes a little longer than for others." He shook his head. "Hearing how Joey was starting down that same path was a wake-up call. No way I want our little brother to ever end up in a place like this. I've wasted a lot of time blaming other people, including Perez, for my own stupid mistakes."

"I don't know what to think anymore."

"Well, think this: If it's guilt about me that's keeping you from building a life with the man you love, then you need to just let it go. We can't change the past, Maria. God knows I've lain awake enough nights wishing I could.

"If you want to be with Perez, you've got my blessing."

"It's not that easy. I found out some things he did behind my back."

His face hardened. "If he's cheating on you, then get the hell out of his house. I don't care how much he's helped Joey, you don't have to take that shit."

"No, it's nothing like that."

"So what is it?"

She sighed. "I thought I had this great opportunity with the Arts and Business Council to feature my paintings in a new condo development downtown, but it turns out it was a total set up. Ritchie arranged the whole thing, came up with idea of using an artist, and got them to pick me."