Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Just as I suspected, the name Jonathan Frank is a pseudonym and his name, as well as the entire identity he supplied to the bank personal files, is false. I ran the alias through the NCIC database—no results.”

- From DIG: The Official Prequel, Inspired by USA Network's Television Event Series

FBI MEMORANDUM

To: Deputy Director Hefner

From: Lynn Monahan

Re: Peter Connelly

July 12, 2014

I’m writing in response to your concerns regarding Agent Peter Connolly. I understand that you have some reservations about my new hire. I cannot stress enough how fortunate we are to have Peter join our team in the Jerusalem office. As you may know, Peter was my supervisor when I started with the agency and he was not only a trusted mentor but also was instrumental in making me the agent I am today. Needless to say, I don’t have to tell you how invaluable Peter has been to the Washington office in the past, not only clearing cases quickly but also working within limited resources. I understand your concerns, especially since the incident and Peter’s leave of absence, but I can assure you with full confidence, that Peter will be an asset to the Jerusalem team in hunting down the hacker Akula and bringing him to justice.

---------------------------

PETER CONNELLY: FIELD NOTES - AKULA FILES

July 17, 2014 – 5:30pm Israeli time (10:30am EST)

I’m officially starting my Akula field notes so I can organize my thoughts. Hopefully, laying everything out on paper will help uncover this mystery.

Here’s what I have so far:

Just as I suspected, the name Jonathan Frank is a pseudonym and his name, as well as the entire identity he supplied to the bank personal files, is false. I ran the alias through the NCIC database—no results. While I’m waiting for Interpol, I’m having Liat run the facial recognition software on Jonathan Frank from the bank video footage, once I can get a good shot of him, to see if there’s a match.

Meanwhile, I have still not completely acclimated to life in Jerusalem. I have to admit that the air is clearer than most smog filled cities, and the Jerusalem stone has a majesty that elevates even the most mundane of buildings. Yet, I still feel out of place. Living in a hotel room, of course, doesn’t help things.

SMS EXCHANGE

July 18, 2014 – 8pm

Peter: Lynn, I’m getting lonely going through videos. What are you doing?

Lynn: Peter, just get your work done. I’ve put myself out on a limb for you.

Peter: So serious. When are you going to show me the city? I’m expecting a private tour. I know how great you are with directions.

Lynn: Funny. Glad to see you haven’t lost your humor.

Peter: I’m funny and charming. Remember?

---------------------------

POLICE REPORT

Detective Golan Cohen, Jerusalem Police

July 22, 2014

As of this morning, no border patrol has identified the fugitive Jonathan Frank. Should he turn up, they remain on alert and have been instructed to detain and arrest him.

Two anonymous tips led the police force to the Dizengoff Mall in Tel Aviv, where Jonathan Frank was spotted in two different storefronts. (Note: the Dizengoff Mall is such a maze of bad planning, I’m surprised Al Capone is not hiding in there.) The entire mall was sealed off; there were two different individuals bearing the description of Jonathan Frank. Honestly, from the onset, this detective felt that both alleged men matching Jonathan Frank’s description wanted to be sought out and found by the public and then the police, as if Jonathan Frank had planted these people as decoys to waste police manpower and time. Later questioning revealed this to be true: both decoys have stated that they were paid to dress in specific clothing and to run when the police approached. They both contend that the entire stunt was some sort of independent film experiment. (This detective is ready to jail them indefinitely for wasting valuable police time and for being pretentious.)

Interviews with bank employees have yielded no results. The fugitive otherwise known as Jonathan Frank has created a carefully contrived persona that will be difficult to ferret out. Will order Sergeant Yoav to trace money trail.

---------------------------

PETER CONNELLY: FIELD NOTES - AKULA FILES

July 25, 2014 – 8:30am Israeli time (1:30am EST)

I finally met Detective Golan Cohen. Not so impressed. He’s rough around the edges (to put it nicely) and seemed almost annoyed that he had to deal with the American FBI. I promised him full cooperation. In return, he agreed to keep me abreast of all their developments. Hopefully, neither of us is lying too much. I promised Lynn I would be accommodating and I will as long as he doesn’t get in my way.

I went through a majority of the security camera footage of Jonathan Frank. My first pass at the footage indicates that there is nothing out of the ordinary in Frank’s behavior. Mousy in demeanor, wearing ill-fitting suits, he seems to have been a creature of habit: every morning he arrives at 8am with coffee, greets his neighboring bank tellers, then gets to work at his teller window. However, from years of doing this, I know there must be a clue here that I’m missing. Somewhere in this vast amount of footage Jonathan Frank must have done something out of the ordinary, a mistake, which will lead to his undoing. (A “tell” to use a poker term.) All criminals mess up, at least the ones that I catch.

ADDENDUM – 9pm

Just got the facial recognition results for Jonathan Frank—he has been quite the busy felon. Currently there are 10 open investigations under various aliases, in cities varying from New York to Sydney. Jonathan Frank, aka Jon Franklin, Jonas Frances, Jackson Ferretti, Jacob Favitta, Josh Fend, etc. All I wanted was one lead now I have twenty. Somehow I think that Jonathan Frank, or whoever he is, knew that his names would pop up. I’m dealing with someone who is already a few steps ahead of me.

Where do I go from here?

Went for a long walk through the city at night to try to clear my head. Ended up half lost and exhausted after hours of winding my way through the Old City. Everything reminds me of Vicki. Now back at my hotel room with my friend Johnny Walker. I hope that I can get some sleep tonight, wake up, and live another day. Rinse. Repeat.

---------------------------

Thanks for reading the second chapter of DIG: The Official Prequel. We would love to hear your thoughts on the story so far.

Do you think Jonathan Frank is Akula?