Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"The good news is that Detective Cohen finally came through and sent me the files. The bad news is that most of the people are not viable candidates for Akula. Unsurprisingly, most of the identities of the “persons of interest” that he sent Liat had already flagged for me. Plus, you know if they had real intel, they would never share it."

- From DIG: The Official Prequel, Inspired by USA Network’s Television Event Series

---------------------------

FBI MEMORANDUM

To: Deputy Director Hefner

From: Ambassador Ruth Ridell

Subject: Confidential

Date: August 16, 2014

Please advise me personally about any and all information regarding Yusef Khalid. I understand there might be some indication that he is heading this way. The upcoming Jerusalem Peace Accord needs to proceed without incident.

---------------------------

PETER CONNELLY: FIELD NOTES - AKULA FILES

August 18, 2014 – 9:30am Israeli time (2:30am EST)

The good news is that Detective Cohen finally came through and sent me the files. The bad news is that most of the people are not viable candidates for Akula. Unsurprisingly, most of the identities of the “persons of interest” that he sent Liat had already flagged for me. Plus, you know if they had real intel, they would never share it. There is one thing I know about the local police: they don’t share credit for collars. But in the interest of being politically savvy, I sent Detective Cohen a nicely worded thank you. (I should have said, “Thank you for sending this information a week late, Asswipe.”) Besides, I have my diamond dealer lead, so I don’t need the Jerusalem police’s castoff information.

---------------------------

POLICE REPORT

Detective Golan Cohen, Jerusalem Police

August 18, 2014

This police detective, against better judgment, did his due diligence and sent the American FBI attaché Connelly all suspects on our radar for the embezzlement of the wire transfer. There is a high probability that none of these names will lead anywhere, but they did ask us to share all intel. Let the Americans go on a wild goose chase, “following the money trail” (isn’t that always the American way?) while Jerusalem police proceeds with good old-fashioned police work.

Sergeant Yoav extracted an audio sample of Jonathan Frank’s voice from bank security footage. Thanks to my friend at Shin Bet, I was able to gain access to phone chatter. (The specifics of how these conversations were amassed through a Shin Bet wiretap will be provided if needed for court.) We matched the voice sample to a conversation originating at a local hammam yesterday. Based on this conversation we believe Jonathan Frank is still in Jerusalem. Putting the hammam under surveillance immediately and we’ll see what turns up. While I doubt that this associate is Akula (are we ever that lucky?) there is no voice recognition on the associate, and the sparseness of dialogue does not reveal much on his identity. Needless to say, the most important goal for this raid is the arrest of Jonathan Frank, which will ultimately lead to information on Akula.

---------------------------

FBI MEMORANDUM

To: Peter Connelly