Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"You’re brilliant. Your suggestion to follow the lions led me closer to finding Jonathan Frank. The key was deciphering Orit Peleg’s email to determine where the reference to Shakespeare and lions would lead. Well, the lions are the statue kind, hanging over the Jerusalem Ethiopian Church–specifically the lion relief that hangs at its entrance."

 - From DIG: The Official Prequel, Inspired by USA Network’s Television Event Series

To: LynnMonahan@USconsulate.com

From: PeterConnelly@USconsulate.com

Subject: Jerusalem Lions

Date: September 19, 2014

You’re brilliant. Your suggestion to follow the lions led me closer to finding Jonathan Frank. The key was deciphering Orit Peleg’s email to determine where the reference to Shakespeare and lions would lead. Well, the lions are the statue kind, hanging over the Jerusalem Ethiopian Church–specifically the lion relief that hangs at its entrance. After a forensic dusting, I found a thumbprint on the crown of the lion in perfect condition, clearly planted for us to find. Liat is running the print through any and all available databases. I’ll keep you updated.

---------------------------

PETER CONNELLY: FIELD NOTES - AKULA FILES

September 19, 2014 – 5:45pm Israeli time (10:45am EST)

The thumbprint yielded a perfect match to Marvin Keating, which according to his extensive arrest record, is a semi-successful art forger living in Jerusalem. However, when I arrived at Mr. Keating’s apartment, he was not present. Instead, lying on the sofa dead from a gunshot wound, with a gun in his hand, was JONATHAN FRANK. The Jerusalem Police had already cordoned off the apartment with crime scene police tape by the time I arrived. Despite what seems like pretty obvious evidence as to how he died, they are still treating it as a suspicious death. Detective Cohen was there, of course. If he was surprised to see me he didn’t say anything. Let’s face it, even if Detective Cohen asked me how I knew to come to this particular apartment, with how this investigation has been going, neither of us would tell the other the truth.

Interestingly, there was a suicide note allegedly penned by Jonathan Frank that Detective Cohen promises he will send me a copy of “when it has been processed.” One of the uniformed officers told me that he had received an anonymous tip that led the police to the Keating apartment. The coroner on site estimated the death had occurred within the last twelve hours. As for thumbprint man Marvin Keating, he has one of the better alibis: Keating is currently being held by Swiss authorities for check forgeries. I am asking the Swiss legat to speak with him ASAP.

---------------------------

POLICE REPORT

Detective Golan Cohen, Jerusalem Police

September 19, 2014

Jonathan Frank’s death is still labeled suspicious although Detective Versluis is leaning toward a suicide due to circumstantial evidence. The suicide note read, “I’m sorry for everything that I have done. I didn’t mean to cause so much harm to the good people of Bank Leumi. The fault is mine alone.”

After securing the perimeter, FBI agent Peter Connelly arrived. It is unclear why and how he knew about the deceased’s location. At this point, I have to believe that there is a leak in the police department.

---------------------------

PETER CONNELLY: FIELD NOTES - AKULA FILES

September 22, 2014 – 8:00am Israeli time (1:00am EST)

Lots of factors are not adding up. Orit sent me the fingerprint that led me to the apartment. Did she know that Jonathan Frank would be there? What is the message she wanted me to receive?  Did she have something to do with his death? If so, why would she send me to Keating’s apartment? Why do I feel like someone else is orchestrating the events as they unfold?

---------------------------

POLICE REPORT

Detective Golan Cohen, Jerusalem Police

September 23, 2014

I sent the suicide note for handwriting analysis to determine its authenticity. There are enough documents from the bank with Jonathan Frank’s signature to make a clear determination. The anonymous tip leading us to Marvin Keating’s apartment has not been traced and the voice sounds garbled. Why would Jonathan Frank kill himself? Criminals who suddenly gain a conscience are rare, especially when there’s a lot of money at stake. 

In the meantime, I am reviewing the builder plans for the Odessa grocery store and it’s surrounding area. The plans are sparse, to say the least, but our electrical expert (Actually the police station’s electrician–Captain Shorer put her foot down on that expense) has identified two possible areas where someone could tap into the Berozashvilis’ electric power and divert it for their own use. What we know:

1. Someone is draining the Berozashivilis’ power

2. The area is frequented by known mob associates who have been tied to Mr. Yusim

3. Mr. Yusim’s meeting with Jonathan Frank at the hammam, handing off stolen identities, was intercepted

My hunch is that Mr. Yusim’s presence and the siphoning off of the Berozashvilis’ electricity are inexplicably linked. 

---------------------------

FBI MEMORANDUM

From: Beijing Legal Attaché

To: Peter Connelly

Subject: Rui Chong

Date: September 24, 2014

I have good news and bad news. As part of our ongoing procedure of sharing information, attached is a photograph of the bank teller Rui Chong that we currently have in custody. As you can see, this photo does not match the Jonathan Frank photograph that you submitted. Unfortunately, the footage you requested—that of our suspect Rui Chong during his day-to-day dealing in the bank, as well as his interactions with other tellers—has been corrupted. More than corrupted, actually. All that appears when you pull up the footage are digital sharks swimming across the monitor screen. I’m not sure how this happened, whether it was on our end or at the bank’s, but our techs are furiously working to recover at least part of the material. Obviously the icon of sharks swimming conjures up Akula, and perhaps this corruption is Akula or a copycat.

---------------------------

TEXT EXCHANGE – September 25, 2014, 4:00PM

Peter: Are you coming over tonight?

Lynn: After a security review and Skype call with Special Envoy Barnette.

Peter: Sexy. Should I be jealous?

Lynn: Clearly you haven’t seen Special Envoy Barnette. 

---------------------------

INTERPOL RED NOTICE

September 25, 2014

International fugitive Yussef Khalid has been spotted in Cairo. While this has not been officially confirmed, he is believed to be armed and dangerous.

---------------------------

Thanks for reading the latest chapter of DIG: The Official Prequel. Who do you think is tapping into the Berozashvilis’ electrical power?