CHAPTER SEVEN

Thanks to David's personal improvement, Ricky gave him the next day off. David had absolutely no complaints about that because he needed a day where he didn't have to shower, he could wear his grubby sweats, a t-shirt, and his favorite Red Sox cap. He didn't have to try to control his anger, he didn't need to pull out anyone's chair, and he could just relax.

He walked into school feeling more confident and in an all-around better mood than he had for the past few days.

None of the girls asked him why he was dressed up, none of the guys made jokes about his 'dog collar' and he finally felt like David Potosky again.

As he headed for his locker, he spotted a familiar blonde head making her way through the halls, binder tucked under one arm. She glanced up, her big brown eyes meeting David's and she got a small smirk on her face as she changed directions to move towards him.

"Nothing you say to me can ruin my day, Hannah," David warned her as soon as she approached, sidling up beside him. She looked just as sloppy as he did, with a green hoodie that was too big for her, jeans that were ripped at the knees, and a simple pair of flip-flops. Her old-man glasses were placed on the bridge of her nose and her lips were painted red again. Those seemed to be her trademark accessories.

"Why would I want to do that?" she asked, a smile in her voice. "I'm sure Ricky will take care of that for me considering your appearance today."

David turned to glance at her over his shoulder, "Are you trying to tell me that I don't look as hot as I do every other day?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, you're right, that's exactly what I'm saying. Definitely not referring to the giant... what is that? A ketchup stain? That's on the back of your shirt." She tapped her finger against the spot just below his right shoulder blade.

"It's hot sauce," he corrected. "And don't ask how it got on my back. Long story."

She chuckled, her hands moving to fiddle with the zipper on her binder. "Alright. But my point is that Ricky is going to have you publically hanged for dressing like that."

"Actually, I have the day off."

"Ooh," she pretended to be impressed. "I didn't realize guys got a break from being a gentleman."

Grabbing the last book he needed, he closed his locker and smiled at her, "Only because you clearly get a break from being a lady." He looked her up and down as if that settled his point.

She didn't even try to argue, just gave a good-natured shrug. "It's harder to be a lady than it is to be a decent gentleman."

"Oh as if," David laughed, "girls just have to like, wear dresses and I don't know...giggle."

Hannah snorted as he did his best impression of a girly laugh. "Uh no. Actually, girls are told to be ladylike all the time, and there's a lot more to it than that." They moved down the hallway together, going at a slow pace that drove the students behind them crazy. "I've found it to be too much work, honestly, so I've given up."

"I can understand that," David nodded. "Ricky's working me to the bone."

"Yeah, wearing new clothes is really tough."

He laughed, knocking his elbow against hers, "Oh shut—"

"Everybody wants to steal my giiiiirl," a booming voice sang from behind them. David took a quick step to the right, just as Mack came flying down the hallway, almost taking out a freshman kid in the process. He wrapped an arm around Hannah's shoulders, sending her a winning smile, "Good morning, gorgeous."