CHAPTER ELEVEN

"HEY GUESS WHAT I did this weekend."

              "Slept."

              "Okay, yeah but what else?"

              "Ate food?"

              "Fine. But what else?"

              "Binged Netflix."

              "Those are what I normally do, David. Come on, give a good, solid guess!"

              David laughed, adjusting his tie as they made their way through the busy hallway. He sent a wink to a girl who was staring at him; apparently the female population still hadn't gotten used to his fancy getup. "Alright Mack, what did you do this weekend that was so extraordinary?"

              "I studied."

              "And I'm the ridiculous one?" David rolled his eyes as he twirled his lock combination and yanked open the door, letting its horrible squeak cut through the air. "You have never studied a day in your life."

              (Was he a little bitter about the fact that Mack could get passing grades without even trying? Yes, yes he was.)

              "Oh. Ew. Not school, are you kidding me? I studied pickup lines. For Hannah. It's Thursday."

              David nodded, grabbing his textbooks for his morning classes, "Well that makes sense."

              "And they're good. Foolproof."

              He scratched at his earlobe, "When are you going to move on from that? It's getting kind of old, hey."

              "Hm?" Mack looked up from playing with the keyring for his truck. "Nah, it's all good fun. I'm into it, she's into it. It's all cool." They started moving through the halls, twisting to avoid other students. "Unless," Mack said, a hint of smugness to his tone, "you've got a problem with it."

              "Why would I have a problem with it?"

              He just laughed, and something caught his eye over David's shoulder a moment later. "Speak of the devil and she shall appear!"

              "You do realize that's twice now that you've referred to me as a demonic being." Hannah replied, walking up to the two, her books hugged to her chest. She easily ignored the looks from the other students who kept glancing at her. "You're on a roll."

              "Morning gorgeous," Mack beamed, reaching over and pushing her glasses further up her nose for her. Girlish whispers burst out from the other students, gossipy rumors sure to start about Mack and the mysterious girl from a different school. David could hear the hearts breaking.

              "We better head to class, Mack."

              "Good morning to you, too, Potosky," Hannah snorted. Mack tossed an arm over her shoulder and led them both away from the watchful eyes and towards their classrooms.

              "I'm really excited for class actually," Mack started, emphasizing weird words, peeking over at his friend. "I've really studied hard this weekend. I'd say it's time to put all my hard work into action."

              Hannah pulled herself out from under his arm. "Why are you talking like that?"

              "I have a question for you, Hannah."