Cold Tea

A/N: Sorry this is a bit shorter than usual, and somewhat lacking in Tom.  I've been really busy lately, so I'm trying my best to get chapters out.  I have 2 weeks left of summer, and then I will be back to work, which means I will not be able to write nearly as much.  Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

I place a cup of tea in front of my mother, but I don't make myself a cup.  There aren't anymore cups.  The rest of them up on the roof, half full of wine. 

"What about you?" She asks as I sit down across from her at the little table.  I shrug.

"I'm fine." I brush my hair back and pull it up into a messy bun.  I can't stop thinking about Tom.  I can't stop thinking about what just happened up on the roof.  I'm wondering if I have gone a little insane.

"Are you sure you're alright? You're awfully red and blotchy.  Do you feel feverish?" Mom asks, looking at me with a frown.  I sit back in the chair and take a deep breath.

"Maybe I am a little feverish." I stand up, and walk into the kitchen. I stand in front of the sink, letting the cool night breeze that's coming in front the open window brush over my flushed skin.

"Well, I won't be long then." Mom says and I feel relieved.  I'm almost physically uncomfortable standing here, trying to calm down and focus.

"I am pretty tired." I say softly, and then turn and look at my mom, who is staring at me. She's sitting on the edge of the plastic chair, her attention focused on me, her hands wrapped around the mug I gave her.  I frown slightly and lean against the counter.

"What is it, Mom?" I ask. She's being uncharacteristically quiet.  She usually just launches into a tirade about what I'm doing wrong, or how terrible my choices are as soon as she sees me.

"The ladies are so thrilled with Tiny Baker, Charlotte." She smiles. 

"I'm glad they like my baking." I nod.

"Tonight was a huge success.  Your little worker, Mandy, is very sweet.  A bit colorful, but very nice." She seems to force a smile and I laugh.  Mandy is definitely colorful.

"Mandy is a life saver."

"Joan wants to offer you another job." She smiles. Mrs. Jacobs seems to have lots of jobs for me. I tilt my head, intrigued.

"What's that? A bat mitzvah? A retirement party?" I chuckle.  My mind drifts to Mr. James' offer for a second, but I push it away.

"No." Mom shakes her head.  "She wants you to be the dessert vendor for the Summer Celebration." She grins, and my eyes widen in surprise.  The Summer Celebration is the biggest festival that Havre de Grace puts together.  Every year, towards the end of July or early August, they close down the whole center of town and the town park. It's a carnival, complete with rides, music, crafts and tons of food.  There's always one restaurant or bakery that is the official dessert vendor for the Summer Celebration.  They are in charge of creating a signature dessert that is sold throughout the whole festival.  They also provide the pies for the pie eating contest (one of the biggest events). It is a huge, huge commission. 

"That's...incredible." I manage, shocked.

"It is! Will you do it? It's such a big deal, Charlotte." She is practically glowing and it makes me smile.  I honestly can't quite believe it.  It really is a big deal, and not only is it a ridiculous amount of money, but it's quite an honor.

"Yes, of course I will!" I laugh.  My mind immediately goes to ideas for a dessert I can make.  Something summery, easy to carry and eat.  Perhaps I'll have to ask Tom for his opinion.  He's like a dessert dictionary.