Fish Eyes & Self Preservation

A/N: Hellooooooooooooo. You guys are the best.  Anyway, if you can't see the last chapter, titled "Liquid Courage & Heat Lightning", then please follow me.  Wattpad locked it (boohiss!) and you can only read it if you follow me.  I don't make the rules, I just cry about them.  Here we go...

If you can't see the last chapter, message me your email address and I will send you the chap in a word doc. :)

I've never seen Tom in a fight.  Not a physical fight.  And I've never really seen him pushed to an extreme.  He's pretty even keeled most of the time.  I can easily annoy him, or make him frustrated, but I've never seen him at the point of angry, boiling rage.

When Chase comes barreling out of the bar, Tom puts two and two together, and he instantly knows why I am acting strange.  We both turn around when my name is called, and I freeze when I see Chase step outside.  He's smiling and he's got a dazed look in his eye.  He's already drunk.  It's barely past ten and he's completely hammered.  Someone give this man a medal.

Tom pauses and I take a half step behind him.  He looks down at me, and his blue eyes are blazing.  His jaw is set, and I can see the muscles bunching.  His anger is the still kind—completely motionless and reserved and under control in a dangerous way.  Oh no, this is not good.  This is not good at all.  I want to get away from the Ink Pot without anyone getting hurt, or the police being called.  I can just imagine the headlines now. Tom Harrison in Bar Brawl in Maryland! Tom Harrison in the middle of a lover's quarrel! Tom Harrison Sex God... Okay, so not the last one, at least...I don't know.  My stomach flips.  I have to get Tom to walk away.

"Charlie, don't you forget about our little talk." Chase calls out, taunting. He sways slightly at the door, and then takes a step forward.  Tom clenches his fists at his side, and I reach forward and slide an arm around his waist.  It's starting to feel a little too West Side Story in here, and I'm worried they will start snapping their fingers and flicking their pocket knives any second.

"Charlie, did he touch you? What did he say to you?" Tom says, but he's not looking at me.  I squeeze him tighter, and press my face into his side. 

"He's a loser, Tom.  You know that. I know that.  Please, can we just go? Please? It doesn't matter." I say softly.  Tom gently pulls my arms from his waist and he leans down, so he can see my face.  Even though he is white hot mad, Tom takes a deep breath and reaches forward, cupping my neck gently.

"It does matter.  You matter.  That guy's a fucking tosser, and someone needs to show him what happens when you're a complete prat."

"Language, TW!" I mumble.

"If you want me to walk away, I will.  I'll do what you want." He says softly, his eyes searching mine.  God, I could shag him right then and there.  The differences between these two men is astounding. 

"Thank you it's...duly noted." I swallow hard.  I wrap my hands around his arm.  "But yes, please, let's go." I ask.  Tom nods tersely and takes my hand.   We turn, trying our best to ignore Chase, who is still laughing and rambling to mostly himself.

"You guys are fucking adorable!" Chase laughs, and takes a few steps forward.  I bite my lip, holding my breath, praying he doesn't try to follow us.  "I know who you are, dude.  I know who you are." He points at Tom, nearly screaming. 

"I don't really care if you know who I am, dude." Tom tosses over his shoulder as we pick up our pace.  Chase follows us, stalking down the sidewalk.

"You're just some fucking B list actor.  Some douche whose fiancé fucked some other guy, right under your nose.  That's pretty hilarious.  Good luck with that." Chase grins and comes closer.  I flinch at the mention of Keegan, and I'm not sure how Tom is going to react at this point.  This night has gone from good to shitty in about fifteen minutes flat.  I feel Tom tense, but he doesn't rise to Chase's bait.  We keep walking, and Tom wraps an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side.  Chase is walking with us at this point, at Tom's side.