Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"That's everything," Trinity said, when the men she'd hired finished clearing the last of her personal effects from the kitchen. They'd also swept through the rest of the bar, including Oliver's and Edward's private rooms, scouring the place for anything that belonged to the former owner.

Oliver didn't realise how tense he'd been until Trinity said those words, and he heaved in a relieved breath, his shoulders finally relaxing.

The woman noticed, and a soft smile – which was an unusual sight to see – graced her lips.

"Yup," she said. "The bar is finally, officially yours. I'm taking my business elsewhere, obviously, but I will still be taking twenty percent of the earnings as the contract states. Now that I've cleared away all my...stuff, you don't need me meddling in your business anymore."

"Right. Thank you," Oliver managed to say.

Trinity crossed her arms. "Spruce up the place. Change the menu, I don't know. It's yours now, so feel free to do what you want with it. You have my bank details. I hope we don't have to meet again, Oliver."

It was the first time she'd said his first name, apart from the time she'd interviewed him and Edward for the job.

He nodded at her. "Yes. Thank you."

"Send my congratulations to your brother. I'm glad he's finally making moves. You both were a mess when I found you."

Oliver grinned proudly, despite himself. "I will."

"Well then. Good luck."

She waved, and with that, she was gone, disappearing out the back door of the kitchen. Oliver probably wouldn't see her again, unless it was to discuss her part of the payment plan.

Although he'd been relieved to see her take all her things, to know that he didn't have to defer to her anymore over the decisions he made in the space, he felt strangely bereft now that she was actually gone.

He glanced around the kitchen – it was still early, so they hadn't opened yet – and then he moved into the main space of the bar/restaurant, still feeling a sort of emptiness. The bar was finally his. The earnings they'd make from here would have them living comfortably for the rest of their lives. So why did he feel so unsettled?

"She finally gone, huh?"

Oliver startled, and Edward burst out laughing, knowing he'd snuck up on him on purpose. Oliver sighed, not bothering to reprimand him.

"You okay?"

He sighed again.

"Okay, pull up a stool, old man."

"I'm like, only two years older than you," Oliver said, even as he obeyed.

"Your point?"

"Fuck off."

Edward laughed, heading behind the bar and staring at the drinks with a contemplative frown. Oliver watched him, thinking if Ed hadn't wanted to go back to school, staying in the bar would have been perfect. He had such a way with the drinks, not only perfecting the menu but making up brand new concoctions that their customers always loved. The regulars had nicknamed him the barman with the 'magic hands', always the ones to yell, 'Surprise me!' when they came through the doors.

Seemingly making up his mind, Edward began to prepare a drink. Oliver tried to guess, but it was hopeless. None of his original drinks ever came out the same.