Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Oliver was nervous.

He hadn't seen Bill since the other man had finally been released from the hospital, and been told to take it easy. Thankfully, the Medical Examiner was able to determine what was in Bill's blood, and they'd successfully flushed it out of his system.

Oliver's nervous smile faded a little when he recalled Bill's face as he'd been told the news.

"So it's all gone, then?" Bill had asked, expression strangely blank, voice flat.

Spencer Smith hadn't noticed, beaming brightly, "Yup! No trace of it left in your blood. You're safe and free to go home. But do come back if you begin to experience any symptoms, just in case. Fever, delirium etc. etc."

"Right," Bill murmured, and only Oliver seemed to notice the dead look in his eyes. "Thank you."

All of Oliver's instincts had been screaming at him to take care of his mate, follow him home to make sure he was completely okay, but the second they arrived at Bill's place, the omega was shaking his head and asking for space.

The prominent flatmate – Oliver could never remember his name – noticed, and came to stand protectively behind Bill, which made Oliver feel equal parts relieved, possessive, and jealous.

That should've been him.

But Oliver had understood, and left Bill to his devices.

That was about a week ago.

Now a text message from the omega sat in his phone.

Bill: Laurey's, 7pm?

The restaurant was in-between posh and poor; affordable but still pricey enough for one to raise an eyebrow, and Oliver's palms hadn't stopped sweating since Bill had sent the message.

"Are you really going like that?" Edward was resting against his doorjamb, arms crossed over his chest. He had one eyebrow raised incredulously at Oliver's outfit.

"What? What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" Oliver asked, beginning to panic. He stopped knotting his tie.

"Nothing, nothing," Edward rushed to reassure, but his eyes danced with laughter.

Oliver glared at him. "Spit it out."

"I don't know," he shrugged. "Isn't it too formal?"

"I haven't seen him in a week, since he was indisposed. Forgive me if I'm trying to make an impression."

Plus a part of him felt a certain dread he couldn't shake off. Since the Medical Examiner had delivered that news, Bill hadn't quite been himself. Oliver told himself the man just probably needed to recover – he did go through a terrible ordeal – but another part of himself was strangely terrified. Of what? He didn't know, and he wasn't sure he wanted to find out.

"Ignore me, Oli," Edward said, this time he was smiling gently. "You look great."

"Enough about me. Don't think I haven't noticed the chemistry between you and our new manager."

"Who? What?" Edward promptly turned the shade of a ripe tomato. "Shut up."

They'd hired the omega a few days ago, and so far, he proved to be more than competent. The plan was to watch over him and the place for the next month at least to see how he performed, before giving him most of the reigns. Ed didn't mind working in the bar, and neither did Oli, but since Ed would soon be going to school and Oli was thinking about applying himself, they'd need the space and time.