feathers

My name is Finch, like the bird

But I'm not a bird. I don't have feathers or wings, and I can't fly. I've dreamed of flying, though. Once, back when we were still close, Sunny and I laid side-by-side in the soft grass under the clear, blue sky and talked about flying.

I distinctly remember her hair was braided to the side and it toppled over her shoulder, into the bed of grass below us. A maple leaf had just fallen onto Sunny's striped sweater and she started spinning it around in her fingers.

"Would you fly if you could?" she suddenly asked.

"Maybe," I shrugged. "Why?"

"I would. I would fly far, far away and go on adventures where everything's better."

"I know you would," I chuckled. "But you're not a bird."

"Maybe I am!" Sunny giggled close by my ear.

"You don't have feathers or wings," I interjected.

She grew quiet for a moment and stared at me with her big, brown eyes. "Alright, then. I'll be the sun, Finch. I float up in the sky and watch everything down below. You're the bird that flies up to meet the sun."

"Icarus did that, not a finch..." I grinned, "and he died in the end."

Sunny's warm laugh rang out as she grabbed my hand. "Don't worry, Finch. That's just a story. We'll always be together."

But she was wrong.