Chapter 3 - Part 2

His eyes settled on me with a force that left me with do doubt his next answer was going to shake the foundation of my life. "You are a turned Vampire. We call your kind Sires."

Vampire. The word echoed through me linking my memories from the thirst I had first experienced and then the strangling. My hand went to my neck as I remembered the vivid horror of gasping for air.

"The strangling, the blood?" I murmured.

He nodded. "Unfortunately a slow death is crucial in a successful turning. But even that doesn't guarantee success." He shrugged.

It had been horrifying and each time I thought back to what happened the air locked in my lungs as the fear gripped me like a vise making it difficult to breath. Everything I was learning about them went against what I learnt over the years through books and legends. It made me wonder if holy water and garlic would work.

While Bryce studied me I flickered a nervous glance to Silas. I hated how he held my gaze without backing down. I was the first look away.

"It's a lot to take in. You will need to work hard to ensure your assimilation into your new role." He rose up. "If you fail there are worse things than death."

What on earth did that mean? I swallowed.

Bryce left and I remained seated still trying to get to grips with what had happened. Thoughts about fantastical creatures I had only heard of in fictional books raced through my mind. I rested my head in my hands trying to build a courage I didn't have to face what lay ahead.

"Get up." Silas' words cut right through my pity party and I lifted my head. My eyes brimmed red did nothing to soften his features.

I sniffled as I stood and his hand wrapped around my arm. This time more gently than before as he steered me from the room. I stumbled unable to concentrate on where we were going, I was shocked by what I had been told.

The hallway was long and he led me to a room only three doors down and shoved me inside.

"You have five minutes," he said before slamming the door closed.

It was a pristine white bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower. On the counter by the sink was soap and a towel. Still unable to think straight I shifted into automatic mode knowing I didn't have time to fall apart so I shoved everything to the back of my mind and tried to concentrate on the task at hand.

I only had five minutes so I hurried out my clothes before stepping into the shower. I only gave myself a few seconds to sigh as the warm water soothed my body. I lathered my body and washed my hair with the soap. It wasn't ideal but I didn't have any other options.

Twice I felt like I was going to have a full blown panic attack but I managed to claw myself back.

Knowing I had limited time I rinsed and dried as quickly as possible before pulling my clothes back on. I was still attempting to towel dry my hair when Silas returned.

When I got back in my room there was another glass of blood on a small table beside the bed.

"Drink it," Silas told me inclining his head to the glass.

I silently nodded staring at it. It brought back the reality of the situation I was in. This was my life now and I wanted to mourn the life I hadn't been able to fulfil. The dreams I would never achieve, parents who would believe I disappeared or died. It was too terrible to think about without wanting to cry.

Some random attack had led me to this. It was so unfair.

"Tomorrow you will start training. Do what you need to do tonight to get your mind right. You need to have your shit together when I open this door in the morning."

I looked back at him over my shoulder. I had never felt so alone or so defeated. I nodded even though I wasn't sure one night would be enough. But I knew, one night was all I was going to get.

He held my eyes for a few moments longer. "Don't try anything stupid."

I frowned. "Like what?"

"Try to end your life."

Before I would have been horrified by that thought but now it didn't seem as repulsive.

"Your body regenerates so all you will do is make a mess."

I closed my eyes briefly feeling the weight on my shoulders grow heavier. Not only was I prisoner by physical walls I was a prisoner to a life I had no choice in. They would decide if I lived or died. I was pawn to be used and if I wasn't useful I would be terminated.

"But there is a way for me to die."

Silence ensued.

"Yes." That was all I was going to get. He wouldn't reveal how I could die for fear I would take my life.

Succeed or die.

Feeling more despondent my shoulders hunched forward as I approached my bed and sat down to face the glass. Before the sight of blood would have turned my stomach but now it rumbled with hunger.

Silas didn't immediately leave. He stood by the door watching me for a little while but I didn't care. He probably wasn't entirely convinced I wouldn't 'make a mess'. I had to remember he was one of them and that meant I was on my own.

No one here cared whether I made it or not. If I didn't succeed and died no one here would mourn my loss.

I had never been athletic. My thin build meant I wasn't very strong so I had avoided the usual school activities, instead I spent my time nose deep in any book I could lay my hands on.

Train. I had never lifted weights or done excessive physical activity. I had never seen the inside of a gym before. If you looked up the word wimp I was sure my picture would be alongside the definition.

The door closed and it snapped me out of my thought process. I was alone. I let out a sigh as I reached for the glass.

I took a few sips not sure if I would be repulsed or not but I wasn't. I didn't think I would ever get used to drinking blood like it was a food source.

I wondered if I had inherited other abilities other than the regenerating. The regeneration explained why I hadn't had any injuries. I had died twice fighting for my life with not a scratch on me the next day.

While I drank the blood I wondered about the the training I would be forced to do. Surely they could see there was no way for me to succeed. I didn't fit the part so why were they even bothering with me? Wouldn't it just be easier for the to end my life now and not waste the time?

An hour later the door to my room opened and I sat up as Silas returned with another glass of blood. He set it down on the table beside my bed.

"Drink it. It'll improve your body's endurance."

I nodded. He turned to leave.

"Thank you."

He stopped. "It's my job."

"What do Sires do?" I asked, changing the subject.

"They hunt and kill Scavs."

That was it. If by some miracle I survived the training that was the prize? I didn't voice my discontent for fear it would anger him. It was best to bite my lip when I felt the urge to freely express my thoughts.

Did I really want to succeed to become a killer? There were only two options and both of them sucked. Big time.

The door slammed closed. The sound vibrated through the room and I felt more despondent than before. I had been better off not knowing.

Is this why Silas had warned me about attempting to kill myself because he knew it might make a more attractive option?

I did as he instructed and I drank the second glass. That night I didn't sleep much and even when I did finally succumb to sleep my dreams were restless.