Chapter 5 - Part 1

I had been waiting for hours. The lack of Silas and the deafening silence had me tied up in knots.

The room I was in wasn't white. It signaled my demotion at not being able to do what they had requested if me. The dark damp room reminded me of where I had first woken up scared and alone.

I sat with my knees to my chest leaning against the wall watching the door. I hadn't heard another person since the two Vampires had shoved me in here. There was no way to know exactly how long I had been here.

Resting my chin on my knees I tried not to think about what type of punishment Silas was going to carry out on me.

I thought about the girl I couldn't kill and I wondered if one of the other Sires had managed to kill her.

I was tired so I lay down on the hard unwelcoming floor and tucked my hands under my head as a makeshift pillow.

I don't know what was worse: waiting for the punishment or actually being punished.

Were they doing this on purpose to make a point? Or was I just an after thought they would get to when they got a chance.

Silas. There was a strange tightening in my chest when I thought of him. The memory of his lips on mine sent a shiver through me. It wasn't fear it was something else I didn't want to acknowledge.

I should hate him and there was a part of me that did.

It had been his job to successfully turn me and he had by any means possible. I touched my fingers to my lips remembering he had kissed me to get me drink some blood.

**********

I woke up with start. Silas stood watching me. His golden eyes on my face as I shoved my hair out my face and I sat up. Well the wait was over. Whatever was going to happen it was going to happen now.

"Get up," he instructed. His voice gave no indication as to what he had planned. He was like a blank canvas, impossible to read.

I stood up still feeling disoriented, sleep still clouded my mind.

He moved closer and I backed up against the wall. I felt a strange rush to the proximity of him. The smell of him teased my nostrils and I tried to pinpoint exactly what he smelled like but it was too intricate to dissect. Firmly, he turned me to face the wall and raised my one hand to lock it in the restraint.

My punishment. Why did I have to face the wall? I tried to keep calm even with my growing panic. When his hand enclosed around my other wrist to do the same with that one I tried to resist him. But I wasn't strong enough to put up a real fight and it only took him seconds to lock my other wrist securely.

My heart was racing and I leaned my head against the wall praying it would be over soon.

Silas stood behind me his hands went for my shirt. He tore the back open easily. That's when I realized what he was going to do but there was no escape. I pulled against the restraints trying to get free even when it was hopeless.

"Please," I whispered, when the real fear set in. This was going to be bad but evening know that I don't know if I would have done anything different.

There was no hesitation in his movements signalling my desperate plea hadn't moved him in any way. His footsteps retreated briefly and for a few moments I wondered if he was going to stop.

But then I heard him return, closer. I squeezed my eyes shut wanting to block out what was about to happen.

My mind didn't register the sound until I felt the strike against my back. I cried out. I grit my teeth trying to ride out the agonizing pain.

I gasped feeling like my skin had been branded with the strike. He had whipped me. I didn't have time to register before the next strike hit just below the first one. I pushed against the wall as I screamed. The pain was intense.

"Please." The word broke free from me. But he showed me no mercy.

Again and again. The pain was all consuming, I screamed. My back burned from the pain and there was no escape. Each strike branded not only in the skin of my back but it seared in my mind, shaking my actions and the morals that had driven my choice to defy Silas.

When he finally stopped I was delirious from the pain, unsteady on my feet and wishing he would just end it for me. He had hit me ten times.

It felt like my entire back burned from the blows and I felt the blood drip from the wounds.

I whimpered. My throat hoarse from all the screaming as I rested my cheek against the wall wishing the darkness would take me to give me a reprieve from the agony. I was broken. Not just my body but my will as well.

He had shown me a cruelness I had never experienced before. It showed the darkness in the new world I walked.

There was no kindness, no pity.

Silas freed my one wrist and then my other. I had no strength to remain standing. I collapsed to my knees and then I lay on the floor on my stomach with my head turned to the side.

In this new world if I didn't follow the rules I would pay the price with my life. Right now I wanted to die. I wanted him to kill me anyway he could, to give me peace.

I had no strength to fight him. My sole focus was on my aching back which hurt with the slightest movement. I whimpered.

"Please," I begged. I closed my eyes briefly feeling the heaviness of giving up. "I can't do this."

He stood silent for a few moments and I prayed he was considering my desperate request.

When I heard his retreat I began to cry softly.

At some point I lost consciousness because the next time I came around I was back in the white room again. I was lying on my stomach on a bed with no top on.

It only took the slightest movement to feel the pain and know that the whipping hadn't just been a nightmare. Silent tears gathered in my eyes before they fell.

How long had I been out? Did it matter?

My throat was sore. I didn't know if it was a result of my screaming or the dryness in my throat. I was thirsty, so thirsty.

I squeezed my eyes shut when the door opened and I heard the steady footsteps. I knew it was him. The fascination I'd had for him before had turned to hatred. I wanted to hurt him like he had hurt me.

I wanted to tell him to go away but I was too afraid. Instead I held my eyes closed and prayed for his retreating footsteps.

He drew closer and I held my breath not sure he wasn't intent on punishing me further. Fear of what he was going to do made me open my eyes. He stopped beside the bed and I opened my eyes.

He raised his wrist to his mouth and I saw his razor sharp canine teeth extend before they sank into his wrist. I was transfixed, I heard his skin tear. I couldn't look away. The smell of his blood made my mouth water.

I was so thirsty. He lowered his wrist to my mouth, blood dripping from the wound down his arm. In spite of the fear for him I gripped his wrist and clamped my mouth over the fresh bite. The pain in my back pushed to the back of my mind. My sole focus was to quench the dryness in my throat. Instinctively I began to drink.

His blood was warm and I drank hungrily, not processing the fact that I was effectively feeding off him like some animal. I didn't care.

"Slowly," he murmured as he watched me intently. I sucked and felt his blood fill my mouth before I swallowed it down in gulps.

My only aim was easing my thirst and hunger for blood.