Ch. 25

We walk into a tall high-rise building ready to meet with the rest of the Greco's. "You have to email Robyn and hire her back." I tell him, on the way to Braxton's office.

He doesn't reply, so I look up at him.  He shakes his head. "I don't want to talk about this again." He states, unmoved.

"Well, I do. Please, hire her back." I beg.

He shakes his head firmly, but when I elbow his abdomen he stops. "Please. I'll do anything." I tell him, desperate to help a woman who I've considered a friend.

"A trade?" He asks, amused.

I groan. "What could you possibly want now? Don't you have everything?" I ask, pouting.

"Isn't it obvious?" He asks.

I narrow my eyes, "Nothing you ever do is obvious, Mr. Greco."

"You move in with me and I'll hire Mrs. Wells back." He states, simply.

I try to hide my shock but it's not possible. "That's a little steep. Don't you think?" I ask, confused.

"No, and you have 20 minutes to think about it. The workday ends at 5." He replies, urging me forward.

"You're putting me on the clock?" I question, him suspiciously.

He nods, "I can't have you thinking about it too long. You'll talk yourself out of it." He replies, knowingly.

We pass a receptionist who is looking at us strangely. Alix opens the office door and holds it open for me. I walk in seeing Charlie immediately. She looks surprised, but its a good surprised. Braxton scored some major brownie points.

She stands up to greet us, and I feel like we just gave her the greatest gift ever.

"We Talked to Braxton earlier and thought you could use some help tonight." Alix answers, sitting in the chair next to Charlie.

"Its good to see you again. How's the pregnancy going?" I ask, when its clear she is still amazed at our presence.

"Its going. I haven't been sick yet, thankfully." She replies, looking absolutely glowing.

"Lucky you. My sister in law was sick the entire 9 months. It would come and go, she hated it." I reminisce, fondly. I walk to the loveseat and sit down.

"I know, its been a blessing for sure. So, you're here to help pick the wedding food and wine?" She asks, seeking clarification.

I nod, seriously. "Alix is a wine snob. You're in good hands." I assure her.

"Good. I think all Braxton ever drinks is scotch." She replies, happily.

The door opens and I hear Cairo and Alexia arguing in Greek. I instantly get uncomfortable. After work today and the confrontation with Robyn then the teasing form Corey. I don't want anymore attention put on mine and Alix's relationship.

"You're all here for us?" I hear Charlie ask, in awe. Her eye wide in disbelief.

"Of course! We're family." Alexia announces, greeting Charlie lovingly.

I'm just about to say something to Alix about not welcoming his mother, but Cairo beats me to it. "Stand up and greet your Mama, properly." Cairo scolds, shaking his finger from his spot on the sofa next to me.

He does as he's told and hugs Alexia. "Miss me?" She asks, teasingly.

"I never miss anyone, much less someone that's only been gone a week." Alix answers, simply. He lowers himself back on to the chair and sits back causally.

Cairo scoffs loudly. "Should we put that to the test?" He asks, plucking at a piece of lint on his sleeve.

"Meaning?" Alix questions.

Amusement and curiosity dance in Cairo's eyes. He turn's to me looking apologetic. "Samantha, would you mind leaving the room. Please?"

I'm confused at first then realize he wants to have a family talk. "Of course." I say, standing up.

I dont get far, Alix grabs my hand and pulls me onto his lap.

A little embarrassed and irritated. I say, "Your father would like to have a family talk. I'll just be outside."

"I think you've made your point." I hear Charlie, comment softly. My eyes meet hers, knowing she's seeing far more than she should. I try to stand up and go back to the sofa, feeling ridiculous in his lap.

"I thought that would do it." Cairo states, smugly.

Braxton walks in smiling when he see's his family. "I heard laughing. Whats so funny?"

"I'm teasing your brother." Cairo replies, still grinning.

"Oh, and you let him?" Braxton asks Alix shocked.

"I'm not sitting on your lap. Let me go." I whisper to him. He ignores me and kisses my temple. You have 10 minutes." He states, reminding me of the time. He brings out his phone and I roll my eyes. I should call his bluff, he can't fire Robyn...but he did.

"Since, we're all here, we can head out." Braxton says, and we all stand up. Walking to the elevator I feel Alix's arm go around my waist. I know he wants an answer regarding the trade, but I don't know how to respond. Its a big leap, I'm not sure he realizes what he's implying to everyone by moving in together. I know its simply for convince, just like it is in Savannah.

In the elevator Alix stands behind me and hold the his phone over my shoulders so that I can see it. Its an email written to Robyn telling her it was a misunderstanding and wanting her to come back to work.

"Really, Alix." I whine.

"Just hit cancel, then." He replies, softly. A women and her livelihood rest on one click of a button and my future living situation is about to be dramatically changed! Its a big deal! I see the send button and lift my hand up to the screen. I sigh, and hit the button, knowing I'm doing the right thing.

"What's that all about?" Braxton questions, curiously.

"Nothing." I bite out, quickly. Which earns a laugh from a disbelieving Braxton and his father.

"Samantha just agreed to move in with me." Alix announces and I cringe. He makes is sound so official and he knows we can't explain the situation. I elbow him for his indiscretion.

"Really?" Braxton asks, shocked.

"Its not a big deal. My apartment was broken into and overall not very safe. He's letting me stay with him until we get back from Georgia, I have no time to find another place until we finish our work down there." I explain. I look up at him his eyes are bright on mine. "Its basically a oversized storage unit." I state, narrowing my eyes at his amused look.