CHAPTER 5

Arjun's POV:

"You called me father?."

"Yes, Arjun" father replied delightfully. There is something about his smile that told me that he was going to tell me something. Something that he would like and I would dislike. Is it about my marriage? The discussion happened a couple of months ago. However, I could still remember it as if it had happened yesterday. It was during the time when I locked myself in my room for a couple of weeks because I thought dad hadn't punished me enough. My dad was completely pissed off with my attitude and decided to counsel me.

Recap from Arjun's memory:

"You need to stop being like this, son. I've been trying to change you for all my life. Now I gave up. My only hope is to find a bride who could change..."

"No father," Arjun interrupted, "I was born this way and will die this way. Neither could someone change me nor would I ever get married."

"Is it because you are afraid son that a girl could change you," King Indra asked calmly. Arjun is reacting in the same way as he had expected. He just needed to move the right pawn and the game is his.

"No one can," Arjun responded politely but in a raised voice, "I am not a puppet. I am a man."

"What if I find someone who could?"

"I'll marry her and remain unchanged proving my point."

"Think about it, son. Maybe you are not as strong as you think"

"There is nothing to think father. I give my word."

Back to the present,  Arjun's POV:

"Dharani is the right girl for you," he said clasping his hands in excitement.  I slowly moved my finger onto my forehead. I kind of guessed this but wasn't expecting it to be this soon. Damn, I shouldn't have given him my word. 

"You remember right?" father asked me again giving me a sheepish smile.

"Yes, father I do. I will stand by my word," I replied confidently and took a leave before this discussion could go any further. As I walked back to my room I remembered all the incidents that took place in the past 12 hours. Dharani. Such a beautiful girl she is. She is the first person, and probably the only person with whom I had a problem dealing with. I always stand by my principles. Never go by the looks. Some of the most dangerous criminals on earth are innocent looking. However, things changed when they came to this particular girl. She was so innocent looking that I had problem being harsh to her. The first time I met her and had to question her, I literally felt guilty for every harsh word I've spoken and genuinely hoped that she was innocent. 

Then came the big reveal. She is the princess of Mithra! I was really impressed by how calm she was while dealing with me. She could have shouted at me. She could have complained to father about it. She could have made a big issue out of it and demand a severe punishment for me.  But she chose to respond in a calm way and forget about it. She was respectful even  while arguing with me on our way back to the palace. She is a great warrior who lost the first battle with me just because she was afraid of hurting me. Such a sweet heart she is. A gentle, beautiful warrior princess.

No no, I shouldn't be thinking this way. Dharani is not the right person for me. She is too good and innocent. I hate her. I hate her. But if I do hate her, why did I listen to her? Why did I give orders to the soldiers to take care of the accused and the other prisoners who were beaten by me without her knowing it? Why did I do something I haven't done for years just because she had told me? Do I....? No, I don't and I shouldn't. I shouldn't let her influence me. I shouldn't let her change me. I should hate her. Yes I should. I hate you Dharani. I hate you.

(Hello guys! I am so sorry for the late update. Trust me. I did try updating on time, but I wasn't able to do it. I am really very sorry. The next chapter will be updated tomorrow and that's a promise. So stay tuned. Love you all)