CHAPTER 40

Dharani's POV:

I was roaming outside my room, desperately waiting for Arjun. Priya is still unconscious and I am still clueless. Adding the fact that Priya is a 3-month pregnant made me more anxious than I've ever been. As I walked around I noticed Arjun walking towards me. His eyes were moist and he looked like an epitome of sorrow. What happened to him?

"Where is Priya?" was the first question Arjun asked me.

"In my room," I replied looking upstairs.

He was about to go and get her but I extended my hand and stopped him. "You cannot go," I said.

"Listen," he said placing his hands on my shoulder, "Whatever Priya might have told you was a lie," he said.

"She didn't say anything Arjun," I said looking straight into his eyes, "You are the one who should answer me. Why did you arrest Deepak and his family? Deepak was your friend..."

"He is a traitor," Arjun interrupted me. "You were wrong Dharani," he added, "Deepak and Priya are not loyal to us. Deepak is loyal to his blood. The blood of his traitor father Rahul uncle!"

Arjun's statement generated mixed feelings in me. On one hand, I was surprised at his claim that Rahul uncle, the man who kidnapped Arjun's brother is Deepak's father. On the other hand, I was confused because the records tell otherwise.

"But as per the records his father's name was Sunil and he passed away when Deepak was young," I interrupted.

"Exactly," Arjun nodded, "All the records were false and I highly doubt Rahul had passed away. Look," he said showing me a painting of a man, "This is a portrait of Rahul uncle which I drew as a kid. I found it in Deepak's house and his younger brother was stupid enough to tell me that this is a painting of their father."

"Couldn't be....:" I said still hoping that all of this ends as a dream.

"It is," Arjun said squeezing the portrait in his hand and throwing it away. "and I am going to make sure they pay for it. I need to find my brother and for that, I would go to any extent. Surrender Priya to me."

I shook my head with tears in my eyes. Call me an emotional fool but I am sure Priya would never betray me. Never ever.

"Don't repeat the mistake I've done," Arjun said, "Don't trust the wrong people."

"Priya is pregnant and it's been just a year since she was married to Deepak. She has nothing to do with their past."

"Isn't she the one who introduced Deepak to you," Arjun questioned me.

"Yes but that doesn't indicate anything," I opposed.

"Of course it does. The entire kingdom knows about those love birds. Priya will support Deepak even if he is wrong. Don't you remember how she asked you if you could help free Deepak when I arrested him the first time? Priya is with them. Surrender her."

I remained silent. I am not giving Priya away.

"Why would Deepak take you to his house if he is a spy and why would he put the painting on display? What if he is innocent?" I asked as a sudden realization struck my mind.

"That was an act of negligence. Don't be so innocent," Arjun said rolling his eyes. "All he needs is some torture and the truth would come out. Trust me he is going to face the most horrible interrogation ever known to mankind."

My heart shivered at the way Arjun passed that statement. It felt as if the man standing in front of me is no longer my husband but a dark devil hungry for vengeance except for the fact that the man whom he is targeting might or might not be the culprit.

"Deepak is a citizen of Minjan," I said, "Which means you cannot even arrest him without my mutual consent."

"Don't be stupid," he said raising his voice. 

"I am not stupid," I opposed, "Let us first try finding out the truth before putting someone's life at stake."

"Fine," he said rolling his eyes, "I've planned a lot for Deepak but since he is going to be unavailable all of that will be transferred to his beloved mother and brother."

"For god sake Arjun," I said raising my voice, "Deepak's mother is 60 years old and his brother is a teenager. You don't have any right on them just so that you know. They are citizens of Mitra."

"The king has surrendered them to me," Arjun said, "and yes I don't care how old they are. Consider me heartless but neither do I care if Priya is pregnant. My brother was two years old when they kidnapped him and I was a bloody kid when they forced me to blame myself for everything."

"I never wanted to blackmail you," Arjun said lowering his voice, "Neither will I ever want to but I have no choice. I don't want you to go through everything that I've gone through. Stop supporting them."

(Hey guys. Thank you for making it till here and sorry for the late update. I was unwell for the past few days and writing this chapter is the first thing I did as soon as I got well. Anyway, the next chapter will be published on 9 January 2019. So stay tuned. Please vote and comment. Thank you. Love you all. Sorry once again.)