Chapter 14: Diane Roosevelt

A  R  I  E  L

WHEN YOUR BACK is against the wall and the only exit out is the one you'd sooner die than take, you either choose to stay in constant misery, watching that exit wither away—whether that is out of fear or stubbornness — or you can choose to take the leap of faith and, despite the consequences, find your way through that exit. At this moment, as I sat in my car, peering up at Lewis' house, I realized that this was my only exit.

Yes, the urge to kick her beneath the soles of my shoes was stifling but I know when to admit that I've hit a dead-end and I need help. I've never had a solid plan to prove Tobias' innocence. I just follow whatever path is set out before me in hopes that it leads to a reliable source who can aid in my goal. Part of me hoped that Lewis was right about Larson. Like I said once, I'm getting Tobias out no matter who gets hurt.

When Lewis made an appearance outside my car, I unlocked it, motioning for her to get in. Failing to show the hesitance on her face, she slipped in, a small good afternoon emitting from her lips. The fear was understandable considering the fact that the last time we spoke I threatened her but I didn't really care about her feelings to ponder on it for too long. My goal right now was to follow up on the lead she claimed to have.

God knows I don't trust a strand of black hair on her head. "I'm being blackmailed, Lewis. I don't know by who, or why but the amount of people who I can truly trust is scarce. So I'm gonna ask you this now and this will be the last time I do, can I trust you?" I know the news about my blackmailer was shocking but I said it to deliberately decipher her reaction.

Her lips parted and her eyebrows shot upwards as she stammered over her words. However, I couldn't tell if that was out of pure astonishment or if it was to throw me off. "I-yes, Ariel you can trust me. Tobias and I have been friends for a long time and at this point, I just want to help him and make it up to you." I peeled my eyes away from her and twisted my keys in the ignition. I knew that whatever lead she had was true whether it leads to a dead-end or not.

Because she knows if she crosses me again, we're gonna have a serious problem. I don't give a damn about her fighting skills and black belt. When I'm angry, I'm capable of a lot of unexplainable things.

Past

Evelyn waved me over to her table as I stood at the entrance of the cafeteria. However, my attention wasn't focused on her but instead Tobias standing beside the cheerleading squad's table, conversing with no other than Lewis Chandler; my replacement. I observed them from afar and though the interaction seemed to be innocent, I couldn't help the burst of anger that surged through me.

Why the hell was he talking to her, especially after his confrontation with Larson in the hallway? Despite Tobias and I only now becoming an official couple, there are still certain things I expected him to tell me beforehand. Like whether or not he's friends with my ex's new girlfriend and why he beat up said ex. I know the reason, but I would have appreciated it if he told me about it himself instead of acting as if it never happened.

Still trapped in my thoughts, I failed to realize that Tobias had slipped away from their table and was now standing before me, a smirk plastered on his lips. "You look lost, little mermaid, acting as if you don't see this handsome young man standing in front of you." Ignoring his statement, I motioned towards Lewis, "what was that?" His eyes followed in suit.