Chapter 27: The Reveal

Present 

           "YOU KNOW MORE than you're letting on. You were so adamant about the fact that Tobias murdered Maria and Kayla. You couldn't have had that passion unless you knew for a fact he did it. You of all people wouldn't base their deaths solely on the fact that you overheard them being given death dares. You said yourself that you thought it was a joke and that something like that could never happen in real life. It's one thing to threaten someone's family, and it's not surprising because the dark web is filled with dangerous people who know how to work the system.

           But do you really think Tobias would actually murder two girls for a stupid game? What do you think could have possibly given him that motivation? It's not possible that Tobias killed them both the same night they refused the death dares. You can't murder two people on a whim. These girls were found raped, battered to death and dismembered. That takes time, that takes premeditation. You're telling me Tobias did all this in one night? Murdered them, dumped their bodies and that's that?"

          It did sound ridiculous to him, but anything is possible. Theo never put anything past anyone, especially a guy like Tobias Aspen. He didn't want to elaborate further, knowing of Ariel's dedication to Tobias. They could have been working together, this could be a trap, she could really be crazy...his mind hounded all these thoughts into his head one after the other. He was tired of keeping this secret bottled up. He was tired of living in fear, "Tobias left with them."

           "What?" Ariel mumbled. If it were possible, her heart stopped beating for just a few seconds as she drank in his words. Theo's head hung low, he fumbled with his fingers nervously, forcing to divert his gaze from Ariel, "ten minutes after he gave them their death dares, he left with them. You're right it doesn't make sense that he could have pulled all this off in one night, but I know what I saw, Ariel. He left with both Maria and Kayla that night. I never saw him or them come back."

Ariel couldn't believe her ears. If Theo had seen Tobias leave with them that night then surely others had too. If that's the case. . .witnesses may testify against him. Ariel shook her head vigorously, "no, that's ridiculous. These girls did not die because of a stupid game, Theo. Tobias hates the thought of hurting women, I should know. I don't care what you saw, he didn't do it."

         Theo scoffed, "are you really that dense? Or are you just playing dumb? I find myself jumping back and forth between questioning if you really are as brilliant as you seem or if you're a simpleton. You said yourself that the dark web is filled with dangerous people.

           Those same people threatened my friends when they backed out of dares, we couldn't even go to the cops because even if they knew the threats were real we would be in trouble too for doing all these illegal shit for money. These dares were crazy, sadistic at times, the person who made this has no conscience. I'm telling you, Tobias is the creator and he killed them or he knows the person who did. However you put it, Tobias will always be the common denominator. This is all connected somehow and if you're smart you'll piece two and two together."

Ariel shot up from the sofa, having heard enough. She hated that he was in the middle of this all when it wasn't his fault. He didn't do it, she wanted to scream at Theo, but it would just slip through one ear and out the other. "Who did you say introduced you all to this game?" Ariel questioned. Theo leaned back in his chair, "Parker, why?"

          Ariel who had begun pacing up and down the living room suddenly halted in her footsteps. "Parker? Did he ever play?" Theo's eyes drifted off to the left as he tried to recall any moment where Parker had participated. "Now that I think about it, I don't think so. No, I'm sure he never did. Even at the party when we played he just hung around in the back observing. He never joined the red circle, never showed interest. He didn't need the money and neither did he just want to do it for fun."