Chapter 15: Bloody Heart And knives

Present

          "YOU KNOW THAT has more calories and carbs than a beef burger," Larson exclaimed as he motioned towards the Caesar salad sitting before Ariel. She jutted a finger towards his plate of food, "as if this doesn't have ten times more." He chuckled in response and nodded his head, mumbling that it was fair enough. The table fell into complete silence for the first few minutes before Larson sighed, "Ariel, let's cut to the chase. Why did you ask me out today?"

          She peered up from her bowl, "well since we're getting right down to business I guess there's no use beating around the bush. I need your help with something. Actually, Lewis and I need your help with something. You're the only Tech Savvy guy that we know and plus no one else wants to help us–" Larson interjected unintentionally as he began to cough hysterically.

        His hands flailed in the air and he stumbled onto his feet, nearly crashing into the table. Before he could blink his eyes, Ariel was already standing behind him, her arms intertwining around his waist, a fist pressed tightly above his belly button, just below his rib cage.

          She began to thrust her fist inward, then upward repeatedly, ignoring the concerned gazes that swivelled in their direction. Larson jerked forward each time, gasping for air until the piece of food that was lodged in his throat sprung out. He gasped once again, this time successfully breathing in as much air as his lungs could accommodate. "You good?" Ariel asked as she narrowed her head to his lowered gaze, staring wide-eyed at the floor. He waved her off nonchalantly and she took that as a sign to sit down. She slid her unscrewed bottle of water towards him, "drink this."

     Larson gulped the entire bottle of water down in one go, ignoring the incredulous look Ariel flashed him. When he was done, she smiled, "you owe me a favour now, I saved your life." Larson slammed the bottle down onto the table and gritted his teeth in frustration, anger pouring through his veins. "You–" he struggled to breathe as he continued to gasp for air, "are not working with Lewis." Ariel's head cocked to the side as her lips twitched, "a thank you would suffice. And considering what just occurred, I doubt you have the balls to decline me now."

          "Wow, capitalizing on my near death. Thank you, Ariel. Although it's your fault I nearly choked because of your deluded comment, thank you for saving my life." Ariel already anticipated his reluctance but she knew Larson like the back of her hand. If she pulled just the right amount of strings without giving up just because he said no the very first time, he'd give in. . .eventually. "What kind of person does something like that? After she tried to frame me for Maria and Kayla's death you think I can trust her? And what about you!? How the hell can you trust her?"

          "It's to help Tobi–"

          "Oh, no, no, no, no. No Ariel, no. My god, you must have hit that pretty head of yours hard didn't you? You guys are all the same, crazy, crazy and crazy." He pointed a finger towards her, his eyes narrowing, "crazy." Ariel grabbed his hand and slammed it down onto the table, her mouth twitching as they were forced to stay pressed in a thin line. She closed the space between them, "Larson I don't trust Lewis not one bit, okay? But when Tobias was arrested I promised to help him. I know you guys aren't the best of friends but I have no one else. Parker and Evelyn have bailed on me and they were my only friends.

           I'm all alone in this. I've lost them. . .you," his eyes met hers, "I can't lose Tobias too. I wouldn't come to you unless I was desperate, you know that." She cocooned his hand in hers and pressed her forehead against it, her breathing gradually growing shaky, "please, Larson." With his free hand, he pressed his palm against her mop of hair before trailing it down to her cheek. He pushed her back slightly so that he could look into her eyes but kept his hand firmly against her skin, "Ariel, have you thought this through? You're asking me, your ex-boyfriend to help you, my ex-girlfriend and Lewis my other ex-girlfriend solve a murder case for Tobias, my ex-girlfriend's boyfriend?"