Chapter 6

Beth

After the interview, I decided to head to the bar a little early. It was 3 pm and we weren't open yet which was perfect. After that terrible incident that happened on national television, I needed a drink, or 5.

I walked around the bar to pour myself a tequila shot, while Joeseph sat in the corner of the room, not looking suspicious at all.

"Hey Joe," I tapped the counter, "have a drink with me."

"No thank you," he replied gruffly. Now that I've spent time with Joeseph, I know that there's a big softie somewhere underneath all that muscle.

"Come on, you're really going to make me drink alone after that awkward interview?" I watched for his reaction, "that, may I add, everyone will see in about 10 minutes when it airs?"

He sighed and put his hands on the table to lift himself up, "I'll keep you company but I'm not drinking. I'm on the clock, it's very unprofessional," I smiled at the fact that I even got him to come and sit with me.

"But you're right. I cringed while watching the interview live," he gestured to one of the many tv screens we had up around the bar, "now I get to watch it on tv again."

I nodded my head in agreement and took my shot of tequila. I winced at the burning sensation as it traveled down my throat. "Oh God, that's strong."

The front door suddenly opened and Eric walked in with Amy behind him. "Hey, Beth. What are you doing here? And what is up with your outfit?" I looked down at myself and realized that I hadn't changed from the studio.

"So she does have a sense of fashion," Amy commented, "but chooses to dress like a homeless man." Amy crossed her arms across her chest.

Choosing to ignore Amy because I had no energy to insult her, I turned to Eric and pointed to my empty shot glass, " it's been a long day."

Amy rolled her eyes dramatically, "it's only 3 in the afternoon."

"I'm so glad you can tell time, Amy." Because I honestly didn't think she could.

Eric stared down Joeseph at the bar, "who's this?"

I poured myself another shot, "Eric this is Joeseph. Joe, this is Eric." I knocked another shot back and grimaced as my it burned my throat and warmed the inside of my body.

Eric came around the bar, "hey, are you ok?" From the corner of my eye, I saw Amy clench her teeth in jealousy. I mean she had good reason to, I'm pretty sure Eric had a thing for me when they first started dating but it never went beyond friendship. I never go for anyone in a relationship anyway, well, other than Claire, but it was a contractual relationship. No romantic feelings whatsoever. 

Before I could answer, a familiar voice came from the TV and I started getting nervous.

"Claire Edwards everyone!" I heard on the TV. Eric reached behind and turned the volume up. "I can't wait to see that new movie she's in. It looks good," Eric commented.

"She's so pretty, but I heard she's a real bitch to work with, " Amy gossiped.

Everyone ignored her, as usual. I rolled my eyes. Claire was probably the nicest person I've ever met. It was rare to meet a celebrity that didn't fake the sincerity. 

As I stared at the screen I couldn't help but admire how elegant she looked. I was so distracted looking at Claire that I completely missed my part of the interview. Actually, maybe that wasn't such a bad thing. It was bad enough I had to go through it once, right?

When the show cut to commercials, Eric turned the tv off. Amy and Eric both turned to me slowly.

I pretended not to notice and turned to Joeseph, "so, Joe, hows the family?"