Chapter 21

Beth

I listened to Claire ramble on, but the only thing I could focus on was that Claire said that she liked me.

Me! Beth James, what in the hell was happening? I realized that Claire was still talking, her face scrunched up and stressed. I held her hands, "Claire," I tried to find the words to tell her how I feel but I was still so giddy about her confession.

All of sudden, she took her hands away and it sounded like she was taking back everything she said. So I did the only thing I could think of and I kissed her.

Her lips were so soft and I couldn't help myself as my hands went up to hold her face. Her mouth moved against mine and I felt her hands rest on the loops of my jeans as she pulled me against her, trapping her between the wall and my body.

Someone behind me cleared their throat and I immediately jumped back from Claire to see Dave giving us a smirk, "you might want to continue this at home," he pointed to the window where most of the bar patrons were staring at us with open mouths.

I cleared my throat, "thanks, Dave. Sorry about that."

He chuckled, "have a good night, you two." I took Claire's hand and led her outside where I hailed a taxi cab.

We sat in the backseat in silence during the car ride and I tried catching Claire's eyes but she kept her eyes locked on the scenery outside the car window. I lifted my hand and thought about reaching over and holding hers, but something about her body language seemed closed off, that I thought against it.

I paid the driver and ran after Claire who was speed walking to the elevator.

She stood in front of the doors waiting for it to open with her hands clasped in front of her. Things had changed a complete 180 since we kissed at the bar, it felt weird between us, like how it was in the beginning when we were literally strangers living together. "Claire," I spoke as I stood next to her.

She didn't answer, didn't even look in my direction but I saw her eyebrows scrunched together in concentration as the doors opened. I stepped on after she did and I couldn't help but think that she was regretting everything she said.

I looked around the elevator awkwardly, "sooooo..."

Claire launched herself at me as soon as the elevator doors closed and all of those thoughts I had on the way home went away.

She pressed me up against the wall and kissed my lips hungrily. She pulled away slightly looking at my lips, "do you have any idea how hard it was to keep my hands off you in the taxi?" Her eyes moved to mine and I saw how dark her eyes became with lust but she also looked at me with adoration.

I looked down embarrassed with a smile, "I thought you were having second thoughts."

Her face contorted first into confusion and then caution, "I'm not, why, are you?"

I leaned in and kissed her passionately, hoping it would answer her question.

She still had her eyes closed and a faint smile on her face when I moved away. The doors finally opened at the top floor and Claire took my hand and led me to the couch.

It was weird, I've been living here for 3 months, going up and down the elevator and walking through the living room, but this was the first time I've ever felt nervous.

Claire must've seen the anxious look on my face because she caressed my face in her hands and kissed me. My body relaxed and she gave me a smirk before pushing me onto the couch.

I looked up at her biting my lip as she climbed into my lap, "do you do that on purpose?" she asked kissing my neck.

"Do what?" I asked breathlessly, my hands rested on her hips.