Chapter 10

Claire

The muscles in my body tensed and alarm bells immediately rang in my head as I watched the young man from the front desk emerge from the elevator.

"I'm sorry, but I didn't ring the desk."

He just kept walking with his head down until he took off the hat on his head and that's when my blood ran cold. I tried to still my hands to no avail as they shook by my sides. My eyes immediately went to the name tag pinned to his chest and my eyes widened when I saw Hector's name printed neatly on the gold pin.

Standing in front of me was Tim Jenkins. The man that has aggressively stalked me for the last 3 years up until last year when he broke into my last apartment in an attempt to see me. Thank goodness I wasn't at home at the time, but it did shake me up a lot and created quite a buzz with the media.

He was taken into custody and I filed a restraining order against him.

I cleared my throat, "you can't be here," I said in a stern voice. He didn't say anything, he just had a blank look on his face until he the corners of his lips turned upward into a sickening smile.

"I missed you, Claire."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, "s-stop, stay away." I stuttered as he started walking closer to me. I take several steps back, trying to figure out if I tossed my phone on the couch or if I left it in my purse.

"Why did you deceive me like this Claire? I leave for a short while and I find out you're in a relationship? And with a woman?"

I clench my jaw, "you need to leave now."

A look of anger crossed his face, "then you leave me no choice," he threatened as he pulled out a knife from his pocket.

I stared in horror as he walked towards me, the thunder and lightning illuminated parts of his face making his movements more menacing.

Beth

I listened to the sound of the rain and my shoes hit the wet pavement. I cringed at the feeling of how wet my socks were in my shoes.

I saw the building come into view and I sprinted the last couple meters just to get out of the rain.

By the time I was in front of the building, I was completely soaked to the bone. I groaned, the last thing I needed was to get sick.

I pushed the revolving door entrance to the building and pushed a wet lock of hair away from my face. I frowned when I saw the front desk still empty. I wondered where Hector was, maybe they finally gave him a vacation.

My shoes squeaked against the shiny floor and I felt a little bad that I was leaving muddy footprints on it. I passed by the front desk but stopped when I saw something.

I took a couple of steps back and saw the sandwich I left for Hector unopened, the post-it note still placed on the top.

Before I even had a chance to question it, I heard a loud thud that made me jump. I put my hand over my chest as I followed the sound and ended up in front of the utility closet.

I put my ear up against the door and heard muffled screaming so I yanked the door open and found Hector in his boxers and a white undershirt, his hands, and ankles bound by rope and his mouth sealed shut with masking tape.

I gasped and dropped to my knees and peeled the tape off his mouth carefully, "omg Hector, are you ok? Who did this to you?"

His eyes were frantic and his voice trembled, "Senorita, you have to go to Senorita Edwards, she's in trouble."