Legend

Saturday 12th February

Today was alright. You know, a completely mediocre day. For starters I got up and opened the curtains, groaning at the ordinary day of clouds and showers which waited outside. Once downstairs I poured myself a bowl of Frosties, turned on the television, and that was it for the day, no big deal.

Ha, I'm lying, and a big fat lie too. Today has been amazing, and quite possibly the best day of my life so far. My wildest dreams, dreams I never even dared to have, have come true, and I am officially the luckiest girl in the world.

As is standard practice for a Saturday, Natasha and I spent the day riding our bikes around town, a routine which involves me loitering behind, trying to keep my balance and avoid crashing in to the traffic, whilst she whistled at unsuspecting boys.

'Hi gorgeous!' She blew a kiss at a random rodent, 'will you buy me some ciggies?'

'Never mind cigarettes, can we go home please?' I moaned, 'it's freezing!'

We had been patrolling the vicinity for at least two hours and my meagre enthusiasm was fading.

'Be careful will you!' Alas my delicate balance was at last compromised, and typically, without warning, Natasha's breaks screeched, her back tyre tearing up the ground and skidding to a halt. Of course unable to master the same BMX trickery which she had crafted with ease, gravity pulled me forwards, catapulting me over the handle bars.

'Now look what you've done!' I held up my grazed palms which were punctured with tiny bits of gravel.

'Shut up Simone.' Doesn't she care that I might actually be wounded? 'Did you see who was in the playground?' She indicated towards the grounds of Three Lanes Primary School.

'No.' How does she expect me to see anything from the rollercoaster position she inflicted upon me?

'Michael and David Butterworth!'

'Are you lying to me?' Had she really just said what I thought she had, because it would be abhorrent to add mental distress to my already substantial physical injuries?

'It's true,' she nodded.

'But what are they doing at Three Lanes playground on a Saturday night? Shouldn't they have better things to do, like hanging out with their supermodel girlfriends?'

'It looks like they're playing football. Plus they don't spend all of their time with models, because that would get seriously boring. Dare you to say something to them.'

'No way! You do it.' Like I would be able to utter a coherent sentence to them on any ordinary occasion, let alone try to gain their attentions whilst they were busy playing something as important as football.

'Okay, but you're such a wimp.' And without hesitation she drew her lips tight before emitting a high pitched whistle.

'I can't believe you just did that.' Even now I really can't believe it, for it seems so surreal to think that Natasha actually dared to whistle at the Butterworth twins.

'Hello?' Our giggles were interrupted as a honeyed male voice echoed back from the playground.

'Oh no, they heard us.'

'What do you mean "oh no"? This is great, this is our chance!'

'Our chance for what?'

'It's our chance to speak to them, you moron.'

Speak to them? Good Lord was she crazy? 'But I don't think I can.' Like Bambi lost within the woods, I trembled. 'I mean, what am I meant to say?'